lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
Rics68
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Powerdrive chargers

Whats the difference between the the 2 and 3. I have a PD 2 for a 03 DS and have been using for years now. A friend asked me to check out his charger which is a PD 3. The 3 hums louder and charges at more amps than my 2. Is the PD 3 that much better than PD 2?

I just checked the voltage and it's running at 57.1 at 5 amps. I don't think my PD 2 ever got to 57 volts.
Rics68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2015, 03:12 PM   #2
Rics68
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Powerdrive chargers

Now I'm at 59 volts and 5 amps. Is this to much?
Old 05-03-2015, 03:57 PM   #3
Hecky50
Gone Wild
Club Car

I have a PW2 and it always goes as high 59/60 volts when it gets down to the last 5 amps. Not a, problem. If it's bubbling wait till it shuts down and check the water levels. Only add distilled water till just above the plates
Hecky50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:16 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

It's fine. They're fully compatible.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:18 PM   #5
Rics68
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecky50 View Post
I have a PW2 and it always goes as high 59/60 volts when it gets down to the last 5 amps. Not a, problem. If it's bubbling wait till it shuts down and check the water levels. Only add distilled water till just above the plates
Well thats good to know. I'm running 59.6 and still at 5 amps. Maybe I should be looking for a new charger. This PW3 is kicking butt on my PW2. I'm thinking my PW2 could be past it's prime.

A friend of mine got a 2000 CC DS that needs lots of help and asked me if I would check out his charger. If he decides not to fix his cart I will see if I can buy this charger from him.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:37 PM   #6
Rics68
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
It's fine. They're fully compatible.
Thanks TahoeDawg! If you say it's fine than I know it is. I don't think my batteries have ever seen a charge like this before. I have a Stanley charger that I hook up to the pack just to monitor the voltage input. I thought the pack was topped off till I hooked up the PW3. The amp needle maxed out at 15 amps for a half hour before it started to drop. The PW3 charger hummed a lot louder than My PW2 ever has.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:24 PM   #7
Rics68
Getting Wild

Club Car

The charger shut off a bit ago and my Stanley shows 52.8 volts. I'll check out the pack in the morning and see what the rested voltage looks like.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:03 PM   #8
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: Powerdrive chargers

Just remember that it's not always about the charger on Club Car...the OBC totally controls the charger plus the age of the batteries make a difference also.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:29 PM   #9
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

I have a 06 and a 07 precedent. The 06 came with a pd2 and the 07 came with a pd3. Both completely interchangeable and that was a big reason I wanted my 2nd cart to be a club car as well. I always have a backup if one of my chargers takes a dump on me.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #10
Rics68
Getting Wild

Club Car

Well checking the pack after about 24 hours, it went from 50.1 with the PW2 charger after a 24 hour rest to 50.4 with the PW3. Maybe that 50.4 will get better if I use the PW3 charger a few more times. All this time I just figured the batteries were getting old and would not hold a charge like they did when they were new. Never considered the charger could be getting weak.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car