lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2016, 12:57 PM   #1
beyondthe50
Not Yet Wild

Default 2002 Club car DS back up buzzer

My back up buzzer randomly quit working, is this a sign of more problems to come or is this normally just some kind of failure in the buzzer?
beyondthe50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2016, 01:23 PM   #2
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2002 Club car DS back up buzzer

Mine just quit working on my 03 about 6 years ago never had a problem with any thing else that I could attribute to the backup buzzer. I was happy it quit working saved me the hassle of locating it and disconnecting it.
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Mine became weird sounding (like voltage was too low - a weak and "thready" buzz). So I bought a new one...and it sounds lame too! I'm thinking my old,old Regen 1 controller is somehow passing "weak-volts" when I switch to reverse (I haven't measured the volts going to it, so only Sergio would know if that's a likely explanation).

I haven't replace my rocker switch - but the cart never fails to back-up when switched. No big deal, but our golf club REQUIRES that we have working backup buzzers on our private carts (in fact we have to pass inspection every couple years - steering/brakes/buzzer etc.).
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:08 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
Mine became weird sounding (like voltage was too low - a weak and "thready" buzz). So I bought a new one...and it sounds lame too! I'm thinking my old,old Regen 1 controller is somehow passing "weak-volts" when I switch to reverse (I haven't measured the volts going to it, so only Sergio would know if that's a likely explanation).

I haven't replace my rocker switch - but the cart never fails to back-up when switched. No big deal, but our golf club REQUIRES that we have working backup buzzers on our private carts (in fact we have to pass inspection every couple years - steering/brakes/buzzer etc.).
The same buzzer is used on gas cars and electric cars. It has a minimum operating voltage of 9 Volts. If your signal is weaker than 9 volts, that would be the only way I could see the controller being the issue. Typically, electric cars power their reverse buzzers with a full 48V.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:00 PM   #5
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Typically, electric cars power their reverse buzzers with a full 48V
I remember looking before installing it, that it had a WIDE voltage range, and I knew it was up-to 48v. 9v or less would be a dismally small amount wouldn't it? I'm going to do some work behind the dash in the next month or so. When I open it up - I'll take the time to measure it this time. Last time, I just assumed the new buzzer would fix it.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:27 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You can not blame the Regen I controller on this one as it is not part of the reverse buzzer circuit.

The positive is directly connected to the main solenoid big post.

The negative is provided by the FNR rocker switch second pole.

It has to be a bad connection somewhere in the circuit.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:52 PM   #7
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
You can not blame the Regen I controller on this one
Rats...I keep hoping to blame it for everything & anything as an excuse for its eventual replacement.
Quote:
It has to be a bad connection somewhere in the circuit."provided by the FNR rocker switch second pole"
That must be the culprit! I suspected the switch might be the issue, so I had ordered a replacement late last fall. Its on my bench waiting for install. I do know that frequently wet rocker switches do corrode over time, and its hard not to give those a bit-of-a-soak when washing the cart. Cheap fix.

Edit: My hijack of this thread was partially intentional - the OP may have a similar issue to mine.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:29 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
You can not blame the Regen I controller on this one as it is not part of the reverse buzzer circuit.

The positive is directly connected to the main solenoid big post.

The negative is provided by the FNR rocker switch second pole.

It has to be a bad connection somewhere in the circuit.
Good catch Sergio. You're exactly right. I forgot about that. Haven't seen a Regen 1 in years, but as soon as you said that it came back to me.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:28 AM   #9
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

I'm a little embarrassed for being so lazy. I have the manual for my cart and could have (got off my butt and) checked the circuit diagram to see how the buzzer got it's voltage to find the next-most-likely culprit.

But we have SERGIO who seems to read circuit diagrams as easily as the morning newspaper, and more importantly - when a given wire disappears inside the controller, he has an intuitive sense of what the components inside are supposed to do - or may not be doing!

Having him as a resource on this forum to help troubleshoot our weird experiences, or simply answer questions - feels a bit like cheating in high school!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car