lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #1
Buckwild1
Not Yet Wild

Default 2007 G29 Regen braking issue

I'm hoping to get some insight into an issue I've had since buying my cart a few months ago. When I first bought this used Drive from a dealer, after diving it for a few weeks I noticed a noise when the regen braking kicked in. It sounded like a grinding noise, like a bearing with sand or dirt in it every time I let off the gas. I took it back across town to the dealer and they told me they fixed it, that something was loose. It worked for the most part but of course now that my 90 day warranty has expired, the noise is back and sounds even worse now.

I'm pretty handy mechanically and have tried to research multiple issues that it could be, but I'm at a point now where I'd rather just replace the motor with the best option available. The cart does have the PTV upgrade on the 290amp controller, which was installed from a 2013 YDRE might I add, at the dealers because the stock 2007 controller wouldn't take the upgrade code. Anyways, I'm open for all suggestions and opinions. I don't care to upgrade both the controller or motor but of course would rather do the least cost effective best option.

My thoughts are....Plum Quick motor with factory 290amp controller (since I already have the PTV upgrade), or just get a new controller too since it sounds like I need a new motor anyways. I only use the cart in the neighborhood driving my daughters around, and back and forth to the Golf Course (They don't let me use it on the course... :( ....). I'm not looking for a speed demon, or a torque machine, but I'd like enough speed to enjoy a nice breeze and have enough torque to get up small inclines with 4 people in the cart and not have to struggle. 19-25 mph is just fine for me!

Thanks so much for the advice in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Buckwild1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
Buckwild1
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2007 G29 Regen braking issue

I can also take a video and post it here of the noise it makes when regen kicks in if that helps.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:17 PM   #3
net
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Grinding noise?
Could be just bearing.
Diferencial
The metal of the brakes .

Enviado desde mi SGH-I337M mediante Tapatalk
net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:02 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Check axle for "white tag". Don't have any idea what that is, search this site for "white tag axle". Also check the motor spline bumper, it goes in between the axle and motor, where the splines are at. They're so cheap, just get a new bumper.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:40 AM   #5
Craeshe
Getting Wild

I'm missing the connection from brakes to the motor being bad. Is it a motor sound, or a brake sound?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Craeshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:42 AM   #6
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Doubt its a brake issue as the noise happens when the regen kick ins. Id then lean towards the motor, which are junk to begin with.
Id go with a upgraded motor, Ive done to many to count, and my customers use them for everything. No other upgrades required with the right motor and youll have a reliable clean ride.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:22 AM   #7
Buckwild1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Check axle for "white tag". Don't have any idea what that is, search this site for "white tag axle". Also check the motor spline bumper, it goes in between the axle and motor, where the splines are at. They're so cheap, just get a new bumper.

Thanks cgtech, I've checked it before and it's a green tag. I'll check the motor spline. When I took it in to have them fix it they had said it was just something loose like the size of a penny (sounded like a bearing I assumed). As I said though, it's back again within only a few months and much worse.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:24 AM   #8
Buckwild1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craeshe View Post
I'm missing the connection from brakes to the motor being bad. Is it a motor sound, or a brake sound?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Regen is the main braking, and it's only when you let off the gas or hit max speed as soon as the Regen kicks in. I'll record the sound and post it here today as soon as I can.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:28 AM   #9
Buckwild1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
Doubt its a brake issue as the noise happens when the regen kick ins. Id then lean towards the motor, which are junk to begin with.
Id go with a upgraded motor, Ive done to many to count, and my customers use them for everything. No other upgrades required with the right motor and youll have a reliable clean ride.

What upgraded motor would you suggest? I like Plum Quick bandit, and also looked at D&M; just not sure which would be the best upgrade for a long lasting performance without all kinds of speed enhancements. I like my 19-23mph, just hate the awful noise I hear through the entire ride.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #10
Buckwild1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwild1 View Post
I'm hoping to get some insight into an issue I've had since buying my cart a few months ago. When I first bought this used Drive from a dealer, after diving it for a few weeks I noticed a noise when the regen braking kicked in. It sounded like a grinding noise, like a bearing with sand or dirt in it every time I let off the gas. I took it back across town to the dealer and they told me they fixed it, that something was loose. It worked for the most part but of course now that my 90 day warranty has expired, the noise is back and sounds even worse now.

I'm pretty handy mechanically and have tried to research multiple issues that it could be, but I'm at a point now where I'd rather just replace the motor with the best option available. The cart does have the PTV upgrade on the 290amp controller, which was installed from a 2013 YDRE might I add, at the dealers because the stock 2007 controller wouldn't take the upgrade code. Anyways, I'm open for all suggestions and opinions. I don't care to upgrade both the controller or motor but of course would rather do the least cost effective best option.

My thoughts are....Plum Quick motor with factory 290amp controller (since I already have the PTV upgrade), or just get a new controller too since it sounds like I need a new motor anyways. I only use the cart in the neighborhood driving my daughters around, and back and forth to the Golf Course (They don't let me use it on the course... :( ....). I'm not looking for a speed demon, or a torque machine, but I'd like enough speed to enjoy a nice breeze and have enough torque to get up small inclines with 4 people in the cart and not have to struggle. 19-25 mph is just fine for me!

Thanks so much for the advice in advance.

Ok cgtech, and everyone else who may have some expert advice...here are two videos of the noise I keep hearing during regen braking. It's actually a little better than yesterday, but it still persists and isn't going away. New motor in near future or simple fix, and if new motor...which is best upgrade that will last the longest? Thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LShWXN27C4E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKngAdH3ej4

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha