lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2020, 09:37 AM   #1
Forklift
Not Yet Wild

Default g16 Directional switch, Heavy Duty Replacement

Hello, Lurker to BuggiesGW, new member. Reaching out for help.

I work in a steel manufacturing company and was hired to work on forklifts but they also have a dozen golf carts.

Half are Yamaha G16 36v 2001 year models. The Directional switches are going out in about 3 of them and burned out completely in the formans cart.

Ordered aftermarket switches from a local cart dealer, installed and it burned out in a day.

Checked Cables, some a little crisp so I replace all with 4 gauge battery cable.

Installed #2 with same result. Study online (Amazon) retailers and see many reviews with complaints of aftermarket switches being faulty.

Tried to get an original from Yamaha but after finding an authorized dealer, it could take 6 months, coming from Japan.

Does anyone know of a potential problem? Any idea of any tests that are needed?

Is there a way of replacing with another brand or even a heavy duty model? This is probably the best for us, considering many are used (overloaded) by maintenance to haul tools.

Any info will be appreciated!

Ive worked on carts before at a golf course and a country club but both were rentals and Ive never gotten that deep into one.

Again thanks in advance!
Forklift is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-05-2020, 09:56 AM   #2
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

Default Re: g16 Directional switch, Heavy Duty Replacement

A couple of the site sponsors, specifically Carts Unlimited and Revolution Golf Carts sell a reversing contactor kit for extreme duty aplications. This replaces the switch with a couple high amp solenoids and sounds like its just what you need.
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:58 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Or this option I wrote up a while back. But, the switching contactors arent much more money.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=105749
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:40 PM   #4
Forklift
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Reddawg and cgTech.

I knew I had seen a HD replacement from somewhere. In fact Im sure i have been on one of those sites with the 202 switch.

I think Im gonna try the EZGO replacement. If i can get it to work, I can stock those switches and will fit more carts in my inventory for future breakdowns.

Thanks again to the both of you, good info and a quick response!!
Old 03-16-2020, 08:56 AM   #5
Forklift
Not Yet Wild

After a month of searching and planning, I found a small cart company that had original Yamaha switches. Works like silk.

Beware of Amazon/Wish etc chinese garbage look-alikes!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha