lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2020, 04:27 PM   #1
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default More Help Please

Little background here: I am pretty new to carts and bought several former maintenance carts from a local apartment complex. 3 were Yamahas and 1 Ez-Go. Planning to keep the Ez-Go and sell the Yamahas. In fact, I already refurbed one Yamaha and sold it.

I now have 2-2006 Yamaha 48 volt carts. One runs, the other does not. I know the controller is bad but there is something else wrong. I have the luxury of being able to swap parts from the running one to try and diagnose the non-running cart. Here is what I get when I put the good controller on the bad cart. When I flip from tow to run I get 2 clicks after about 2 seconds. When I switch the key to ON I get an instant click and then another click after 2 seconds. If I push the pedal, I get another click then after a couple seconds I get another click. No movement whatsoever or other sounds.

I know this non-running cart has had some stuff replaced. The fuse holder is new and it had a 30 amp fuse stuck in it. I put a 3 amp back in it. The throttle position sensor (forgive me if that is not the correct term) looks to have been replaced and the connector for it has been has been spliced into the harness. Couple other spots look like the harness was messed with but I don't see any obvious issues. The solenoid also looks to have been replaced as does the tow/run switch.

Aside from swapping the controller, I swapped out the throttle position sensor, the F/R switch and the solenoid. I did these individually then tested the cart with negative results. I also did a resistance test on the motor and it was right within the ranges I saw on other posts here.

Since I have the ability to swap in parts from the running cart, I am looking for any thoughts or suggestions on what to try. Both cart are stripped of their bodies right now for painting so access is pretty easy. Would love to figure this thing out as I hate to admit defeat. I am no genius but have reasonable skills and not afraid to learn. I am not opposed to putting a few dollars into this cart as I am in it pretty cheap and it will certainly make selling it easier. I can make it look like new but I am struggling with getting it running. Obviously I don't want to invest in a controller until I can determine what else is wrong and what that cost would be. I know the Yamaha knowledge pool is the shallowest on this site but hopefully some of you guys have some suggestions. As always, any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
jamoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2020, 05:36 PM   #2
Olddog72
Gone Wild

Default Re: More Help Please

Over 14,000 replys by one person is not to shabby.?
Olddog72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:39 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I think the motor should be removed & opened & inspected. (And yes, I read that you measured it)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:21 PM   #4
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks, I would never question your wisdom in these matters. I have read many, many of your posts on these pages and am truly impressed with your knowledge. I assume it is fairly straight forward on removal? Having never done this before can you let me know what to be looking for? I know there is a way to send power to the motor to test it, should I do that first or just remove it? As I mentioned, I have easy access as the body is off. Thank you for your reply.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:58 PM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

You could test it with a car battery. Hook B+ to A1 & F1 B- to A2 & F2. With cart jacked up & cart cables disconnect.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:00 PM   #6
Tha_B_Man
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Are you actually swapping parts or just pulling parts from the good cart and putting on the bad cart? I would say actually swap them just to make sure parts from bad cart are in good working order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tha_B_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:01 AM   #7
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

CGTECH, thanks for your insight and replies. Will do some more testing today and see what I find. B-Man, thanks for jumping in as well. I really appreciate all comments and insight. I have read a bunch of different threads and know these things can be difficult to diagnose.

I have just been pulling known working parts from the good cart and putting them in the bad cart for testing. I have been putting them back on the good cart when they don't fix the bad cart. I was initially really hoping it was the throttle sensor since it was visually obvious it had been worked on. For some reason, one end of that connector had been replaced as the wire colors were different and I could see the connectors where it was spliced in. Not sure why that was done. Also suspicious about the new fuse holder. Was wondering if for some reason they melted the old one. Nothing else there looks bad. As I also stated, it had a 30 amp fuse in it but that could just be what they had lying around. So far the 3 amp I put back in is fine but of course it is not running either. The wiring harness looks a little questionable but I have looked it over and without digging in deeper I see no obvious problems. Still could have them though. Will report back on what I find, thanks again
Old 03-12-2020, 07:56 AM   #8
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

OK, hooked up 12v jump box per cgtech's instructions. Motor spins. Initially only the Left wheel was spinning. I checked the brake and manually spun the Right wheel and it began to spin but then the Left wheel slowed and stopped. Didn't seem to have enough power to turn them both at the same time. Hopefully this is the result of just having 12v to the motor and normal. Anyway, motor seems to be working, no funny noises or smoke, just a spark when I applied the power, any need to pull it for inspection??? As always, your input is most appreciated
Old 03-12-2020, 10:46 AM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

That's good news.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:48 PM   #10
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

Any thoughts on what to check next? What other parts could it be? I did not swap the throttle stop switch? or the run/tow switch or ignition switch. The ignition and run/tow seemed to be working or at least making the right clicks. I will go over the wiring harness carefully and inspect/test what I can. Does anyone know if a replacement wiring harness is available for this cart? It is a 2006, G22 48v basic cart, no lights.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha