lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2020, 08:55 PM   #1
b_zazzi
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default On/off Key Switch/Hotwire G22

Aloha All! I think my on/off key switch is out on Yamaha g22, infinite resistance in both on/ off and Voltage only on hot whether on or off. I was thinking of replacing the keyed switch with a simple toggle switch, BUT when I tried to Hotwire the cart by using paper clip between the two contacts on the plug-in to confirm that switch is broken for sure, the cart still will not run. Is there something in the switch that the electronic board “talks” to so that I need to buy the switch rather than replacing with simple toggle?
b_zazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2020, 09:10 AM   #2
Croqezgo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: On/off Key Switch/Hotwire G22

There is no special chip. You have some other problem. Do you have lights? What is the voltage on the hot side of the key switch?
Croqezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:00 PM   #3
b_zazzi
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I don’t have lights. Voltage on hot is 50 +/-. Thanks for reply and confirming that there is no chip in key switch. I will double check my Hotwire attempt as I just shoved a paper clip between the 2 plugin contacts, maybe that was a bit too half-@#$ed.

Update: Switch is definitely bad - took it off harness and it shows bad behavior - depending on how key is wiggled in on position, it sometimes reflects low resistance and other times complete resistance. Not good. Now I just need to work on my thieving skills and learn how to hotwire properly.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:57 PM   #4
Croqezgo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If you connect the hot wire to the other wire it should work. I have had to do that before when waiting on a new switch. It worked fine for me. If not, I suspect you have a controller issue or a wiring issue. The wire from the key goes all the way back to the large plug on the controller. I traced mine all the way back in order to patch in a wire to control my DC converter trigger function. The dead wire that is. It is only hot when the hot wire is connected through the key switch. I hope this helps. Do you have a wiring diagram? They are easy to grab through a google search.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:43 PM   #5
b_zazzi
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thank you, Croq..., yes - that worked. I just had to be a little bit more diligent in my wiring
Now I am waiting for new switch - found one cheaper than originally thought.
Thanks all!
Old 05-01-2020, 10:45 PM   #6
Croqezgo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Great!
Old 05-04-2020, 03:13 AM   #7
b_zazzi
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Final Update:
I got tired of waiting and took switch apart - turns out, this switch is pretty solid and can be cleaned:
used vinegar with salt dissolved to saturation, which I dabbed onto the corrosion with q-tip, let set for about 5 minutes, and then neutralized with a bit of baking soda, and wiped dry with new q-tip. Reapplied some anti-corrosion electric grease and put back together. Works like a charm! Took some images:
Old 05-04-2020, 09:14 AM   #8
Croqezgo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

That is good stuff. I knew they were a pretty solid switch. It is just so easy, and fast, to get a replacement here that I would have never looked into that.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:32 PM   #9
b_zazzi
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Yeah, we are so in the boonies that we have to work on almost anything ourselves, and for parts to get to us is weeks, but that is the pay for the location. Hope this can help someone else, and save some resources

Tags
hotwire, off/on key switch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha