lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2020, 12:20 AM   #11
Familys88ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 Marathon Not Running

Sorry for the delay between posts. I ordered a new fuel pump and a new carb off Amazon. I finally got a chance to look at it tonight and was going to put it on and I noticed they are both different. So I looked at the manual you sent me, and the carb that was sent to me looks like the one in the manual. From what I have noticed while buying parts is the 1988 model was a little different from the 1982-1987 and then the marathon changed in 1989-1994. The carb on my cart the choke flap rotates on a horizontal plane and the one that was sent to me rotates on a vertical plane. I will post some pictures, because not I need to know if I have the correct parts or if I need to send these back and order something different. The “fuel tips” on the fuel pump are on different angles. I will post some pictures on it too. I will also include the ID tags from the cart and engine if it helps. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
Familys88ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2020, 12:29 AM   #12
Familys88ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Last set of pictures are from the carburetor that was sent from Amazon. There is no drain line on this one either.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:48 AM   #13
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The pictures get blurry on my phone when I try to expand them. I will look closer when I get home in the morning. You have an 88 tag. The choke should be vertical out the top. Your exhaust pipe should attach to the top of the muffler and not the side. If not, I would say that you have an early 88 that still has 87 parts. I see that your governor cable is still attached. Most people get rid of that and the oil injection.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:03 AM   #14
Familys88ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I posted these pictures last night too, or I thought I did of the fuel pump. I hope this shows how the tips on the fuel pump on my cart are pointed up more and the new one they aren’t.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:15 AM   #15
Familys88ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Here are some more pictures I took of the fuel pump last week, and a few shots of the muffler.

The little nut with set screw on the Governor cable is set far enough back that it doesn’t hit for now. I left it on there so whenever I decide to let my kids drive it, I can move it back down.

Not sure if I should make a new post for this question or not, but why do most people take the oil injection off? I have checked it and it seems to work.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:27 AM   #16
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The inside of that cart is looking pretty nice. I wouldn't mind seeing the entire cart. You have an 88 that has the 87 carburetor, and exhaust. I don't think there should be a difference in the pump. You really should take your carburetor apart, and keep cleaning it. It is much better quality than what you bought. I also don't believe it has very much use on it just looking at the pictures. As long as the shaft doesn't wobble, it's the better option. Once it's running right, we'll get a spring on the throttle cable to keep it from backfiring.

That new pump looks like you won't be able to get a line on it, when mounted.

I'm surprised that the new carb has a banjo on the fuel inlet. They usually have a brass nipple that keeps falling out.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:43 AM   #17
Familys88ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Re: 88 Marathon Not Running

Sounds good! I will tear into it again tonight. I will take the fuel pump off tonight as well and post some side by side pictures of the one that was on the cart and the new one that I purchased.

Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures of the way it looked before I cleaned the outside and the engine. Here are some pictures of they way it looked after its bath. I will post some progress pictures of the rebuild later tonight. I’m thinking of painting it corvette yellow with some black seats. The seats will be hot in the sun, but I think it will look good.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:00 AM   #18
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familys88ezgo View Post
Sounds good! I will tear into it again tonight. I will take the fuel pump off tonight as well and post some side by side pictures of the one that was on the cart and the new one that I purchased.

Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures of the way it looked before I cleaned the outside and the engine. Here are some pictures of they way it looked after its bath. I will post some progress pictures of the rebuild later tonight. I’m thinking of painting it corvette yellow with some black seats. The seats will be hot in the sun, but I think it will look good.
Nice cart which has been taken care of.
Can you show the picture of throttle cable and lets see if yours has the spring on it to eliminate backfiring ? I see the cable but can't see all of it where the spring goes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spring.jpg (289.9 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:09 AM   #19
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Funny I looked for the same thing by enlarging his pic and it doesn't look like it's the spring loaded type cable, but a better angle would be helpful to be sure. Like Cart Around said it's an early 88 with an 87 set up which is the same as my 85........

I also noticed that banjo fitting on the fuel inlet, there's another poster in here lately that modified his carb to the same thing, what a nice surprise that some carbs changed to that....

To the OP: Nice looking buggy, the 88's have a plastic front cowl and I see yours is missing. But you're in luck as they are still available

EDIT; Hey Trig, after enlarging a couple more pics I'm thinking it is indeed the spring loaded type. I don't see any threads for adjustment, looks smooth so it can slide
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #20
Familys88ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hello trig123 & Dabble Inn. Thanks trig. As I said previously it sat in a barn without running for about 4-5 years. I was surprised at how well it cleaned up, and that it compression tested at almost 120. My niece was learning to drive which contributed to the broken front cowl and stuff getting pushed into it in the barn. I was able to order one the other day for under $50 so i thought that was good.
I will post the best picture I have here with me now, and take some more later tonight if you can’t see what you need on the cables. I don’t remember seeing any springs on any of those cables (choke, throttle, or Governor). They all have that little nut at the end with a set screw in them. Again I’m no mechanic and new to the buggy world so forgive my ignorance in terminology, so here going my list of questions to all the comments.
1.) What is the banjo that the 3 of y’all keep referring to? Is that where my fuel line from the pump ties into the carburetor?
2.) Is the banjo on the new carb or old?
3.) Cart Around is and has been great at answering all my questions. Would either of you be able to chime in on the question I had for him about the oil injection?

Tags
1988 ezgo, 1988 marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO