lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2020, 02:18 PM   #1
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1992 3PG Not Charging (Again)

Hello friends.

So I noticed awhile back my cart was getting harder to start and I mean I would push the gas pedal and there would be a delay then it would turn over. Here the battery was getting weaker and unable to start it. This happened over a period of weeks literally and I run this thing daily for long stretches at a time.

I jack it up and check the battery and it's flat so I charge it up and it goes to 12.5v. I put my meter on it and under a load it drops to around 11.5v and then once it started it hop's up to about 12.3v.

I figure a new voltage regulator so I get another one (cheapie ebay stuff) put it on and the same thing. I take the start/gen apart clean it out and put new brushes in it, didn't really need it but I figured I was there so... Anyway same voltage, made no difference whatsoever.

Then I take the green wire off the VR and ground it and test the battery and it goes from around 13v to 15v at full throttle. Put it back on and of course I'm here now putting our around 12.3v at full throttle.

It seems like it is getting some charge but obviously not what it's supposed to be. This is apparently why I can literally run it for weeks before it slowly gets down to the point where it finally won't start at all (?).

I've cleaned the lugs in the F/R switch and cleaned every terminal that I can get my hands on and checked every wire I could see. Any suggestions of where to go from here is appreciated. I've had this problem before but for the life of me I can't remember what the fix was. I was thinking just cleaning the start/gen was it but I'm not sure.

Regardless thanks in advance for suggestions!
Barnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1992 3PG Not Charging (Again)

The test you did says bad voltage regulator.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:39 PM   #3
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I guess I'll be sending this one back then! Now that I'm thinking about what I had read previously here on the site that is the symptom for a bad VR.

Thanks for your reply, I'm going to get another one and once I do I'll report back to finish this thread.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:41 AM   #4
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just to close this thread, the new VR I purchased was a bad and once installing another one the charging is fine.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:07 AM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

That's a good example of new does not always mean good.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, generator, starter, voltage regulator
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO