lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-07-2020, 06:32 AM   #1
Bgriffin1957
Not Yet Wild

Default 1988 ezgo Marathon gas issue.

Hi everyone, I am new to the site.

I have a 1988 Ezgo Marathon in which I just rebuilt the top end. Ran great for a few weeks, then yesterday,it started sputtering and wouldn't start. Changed spark plugs, ran for about an hour, now won't start.
It is not getting gas to the cylinder, if I put some gas in the cylinder, it will fire briefly. Fuel pump seem fine, carburetor was cleaned and has gas in the bowl.
If I put my hand over the carburetor air intake, turn the engine over and release my hand, it will run for a few seconds. Cylinder pressure is good.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Bgriffin1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-07-2020, 07:38 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 ezgo Marathon gas issue.

Post 22 has the pdf file for the 88 manual. https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...=105501&page=3

There are two things you need to do.

First is remove the center stem from the carburetor. It has the tiniest of tiny holes. Every one of them needs to be cleaned.

The second thing to do is look at the bottom of the bowl itself. It cannot be crushed in, or deformed in any way. The nut that holds it on is hollow, and has a cross drilled hole through it. When the bowl is crushed, that hole is blocked, and gas can't get out of the bowl to the main jet.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:30 PM   #3
Bgriffin1957
Not Yet Wild

Checked the carburetor and everything was good. I am seeing some leakage at the bottom of the motor. I may have blown out the rear crank seal. Not sure if it could be that or not.i changed the front one when I rebuilt the top end, but couldn't get the clutch off to do the rear.
Bgriffin1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:42 AM   #4
DarthRad3r
Not Yet Wild

I have an 88 also, have spark and new carb. I don't think I have fuel getting to the motor also. Are you still having problems?
DarthRad3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
winr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have a 88 Marathon with the same issue... It was a good running cart but I ran it out of oil and wiped out the piston/jug. I put a new piston/jug on it, started it up in the shed, other than pumping out smoke it ran great. I have checked the spark it has lots of it, I removed the carb and cleaned it (no crap in the bowl - looked relay nice) checked the reed valves and no issues there either. Just cranks and cranks. New fresh fuel, New Fuel filter, Pump works fine
winr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:50 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by winr View Post
I have a 88 Marathon with the same issue... It was a good running cart but I ran it out of oil and wiped out the piston/jug. I put a new piston/jug on it, other than pumping out smoke it ran great. I have checked the spark, lots of it, I removed the carb and cleaned it (no crap in the bowl - looked relay nice) checked the reed valves and no issues there either. Just cranks and cranks. New fresh fuel, New Fuel filter, Pump works fine

Has it run since you replaced the piston, and cylinder?
Old 11-22-2020, 05:32 PM   #7
winr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes, it ran immediately after but with white smoke, one lap around the driveway and she quit... so drained the tank, fresh fuel, fuel filter, Carb disassembly and clean, checked the reed valves. still nothing plenty of spark, Carb was like new inside, reed valves all look good/sealing. Kinda dumbfounded.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:51 PM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Did you make sure to put the rings on with the bevel side up?

It ran, so I will assume that the piston is in the right way.

White smoke is burning oil. That's expected.

Did it pop, or backfire just before it died?

Do a compression test.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:01 PM   #9
winr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

When It went together I put the "R" side of the ring up(towards piston head) No pops or backfire... was actually running strong. Yes I expected the smoke as I had instructed my Niece to take it around the yard 'til the smoke cleared... I just remembered. I took the plug out and cleaned it with carb cleaner, put it back in and it fired... then nothing again.. I'll try that again when I do the comp test
Old 11-22-2020, 06:20 PM   #10
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Are you premixing gas, or does it still have oil injection? A new cylinder, and piston requires 40:1 mix for the first tank.

And here is a thought for anybody that reads this in the future. There are some people that still like to run the oil injection, and say that if it fails it will fail to full oil.
I say the oil tank could run dry, or the pump could quit pumping. The third possibility is that if your fuel pump lower diaphragm rips, you are now pumping straight gas directly into the crankcase.

Ok, back to winr
After you do a compression test, look at this thread. https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=98839 You may have a ripped lower diaphragm in the fuel pump.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO