lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
Hoggy
Not Yet Wild

Default Opinion on Ezgo purchase

Hello I am new to the forum. Looking for opinions on the purchase of a 1987 gas ezgo. The motor seems to run good but it has a rattling/grinding noise when driving it. The owner says the belt needs replaced and that is what is causing the noise? Forward works but reverse does not. Also when getting off of the excelerator it will backfire sometimes. Other than that it is in pretty good shape. I would be doing any work that needs to be done and consider myself to be mechanically inclined. The guy wants $450.00 for it. I have access to the cart before I purchase and I am looking for input on how to diagnose the rattling/grinding noise. Thanks for you help. Excellent forum you have here.
Hoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2009, 11:28 PM   #2
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: Opinion on Ezgo purchase

Howdy Hoggy... Sounds like a project cart. The rattle could be in the drive clutch or the piston. Either way, there are parts available for them.
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:57 AM   #3
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: Opinion on Ezgo purchase

if he thinks it's a belt then it's probably the clutch, that's a pretty price cheap for a running cart.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:02 AM   #4
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

welcome to BGW Hoggy.
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:14 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I would do a compression check and use the results for a bargaining chip..... if still interested after that buy the belt and try it ...... if it don't fix it you are looking at a clutch or 2 ..... more bargaining chips
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:43 AM   #6
Hoggy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies. Any ideas on what to look at for reverse not working?
Hoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I don't know if that is a 2 cycle or 4 cycle.
A 2 cycle uses the motor for reverse. The timing is retarded to cause the motor to run back wards. Honstly, I don't know how to fix that or adjust the timing on those. Never had one.
A 4 cycle uses the differential for reverse. Usually 2 cables will adjust the liinkage and get it back in reverse. They are at the diff. They are adjustable. Check the differential for oil and metal? You may want to drain it and refill it. I think it's less than a quart.
You could try to isolate the noise by removing the belt and running the motor by itself. If it still rattles, it's the front clutch or motor. The clutch shouldn't make much noise with no load. The front clutch should close tight at a fairly low rpm to engage the belt. It will slap when it closes.
Put rear end on blocks and turn an axle, the other should turn opposite. Spin the wheel and listen for noise at the wheel bearings and/ or the differential.
The rear clutch can be removed without a puller. If you hear it rattle, probably no good. It should be difficult to turn the sheaves in opposite directions. If it's really easy to turn...
Don't stop at one conclusion, there could be multiple causes. If you still aren't sure, put the belt on and run it on the blocks.
Good Luck! Correction. the weights in the clutch may make noise.
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO