lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2009, 07:43 AM   #1
tompat
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default steering box

Does anyone have a diagram of the steering box internal parts for a 1986 Marathon ezgo gas?
tompat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
GoTeeMan
EZ Like Sunday Morning

E-Z-GO

Default Re: steering box

I can get you a picture tonight, what do you need to see specifically? What problem/question do you have. I have one out of my 82 and is essentially the same as my 87 so it should work for what you need.
GoTeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
tompat
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

My steering wheel turns about a 1/4 turn before the wheels do. I need to know what to look for when I take it apart to see what is wore out. I am not a very good mechanic.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: steering box

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompat View Post
My steering wheel turns about a 1/4 turn before the wheels do. I need to know what to look for when I take it apart to see what is wore out. I am not a very good mechanic.
If yer not good with a wrench, ya might look into a new one.
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
tompat
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

A new what MIRROR
Old 08-04-2009, 06:55 PM   #6
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompat View Post
A new what MIRROR
NO...a new WRENCH.
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #7
GoTeeMan
EZ Like Sunday Morning

E-Z-GO

My 1982 had the same issue. When you take the column off the steering box you will find 2 things in there; the reduction gear and the rack rod. Then on the end of the column will be the column pinion gear. These gears are supposed to be square cut gears, if they are then they should be fine. My 1982 column pinion gear was worn sharp and the joint on the end of the rack rod was shot (lots of play) it was more like herding than steering. I have a new rack joint from site sponsor http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...thingcarts.com and the steering column pinion gear from a non site sponsor because none of them could get it. Once I have all the parts I will let you know how it comes out. I really will get the pic but they really are pretty basic once you get on there.

To check the rack joint and all the other tie rods you will need to take off the shield that covers the suspension and steering stuff to get a better view of it all. Have someone move the steering wheel to see if there are any loose joints (they will move without moving what they are attached to if they are loose). My guess is you will find what I did and most of the play will be in the 2 parts I am replacing (but your results may differ). If you want to remove the steering box then you will need to get a pickle fork and knock out the rack joint from the bell crank and then take the 3 bolts off from underneath the front end, tip the steering box and then the rack joint should tip enough to get it out. Then you can clean it, check it real good, re-grease and reinstall (be careful not the cross-thread the bolts during reinstall, not that I would know, I'm just saying).

If you still need it I can get you pics, but once you get the column off it will be pretty self explanatory.

Mark

Last edited by GoTeeMan; 08-04-2009 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: lots of mispelled words
GoTeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:12 AM   #8
tompat
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks alot I will take it apart
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO