lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
dhook
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Should I pull the trigger on a 91 Marathon

I have a chance to buy a 91 Marathon that is in excellent condition for 600. Runs great, body is perfect, small amount of rust on carriage and battery trays but less than would be expected. My question is I am wondering how available parts and accessories are for this cart as I want more speed (right now it goes about 12 mph), and to lift and put bigger tires on it. I guess my question is does this seem like a good deal or should I spring for a grand more and get something made in 2k?
I feel like its a good deal but not sure what difficulties I'll run into in getting updated parts for it. Any help advice or suggestions will greatly appreciated.
dhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
redriderno22
let it SNOW

Club Car

Default Re: Should I pull the trigger on a 91 Marathon

lift kits for those are the chepest ive seen

but any cart costs $$ to upgrade
redriderno22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

A lot of accessories are universal and if you can fab a little you can make a
cart that is not the standard cookie cutter cart.
I love when I have some time and walk the rows in a large auto house
and think about how to use things.

Load test the batteries so you don't get home and face a $650 bill for new ones.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Figure 6-800.00 to lift including wheels and tires. The rest is nickle and dime stuff. So yea, you can have a real nice Marathon for 2k
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Basic block lift kits are available for the Marathon. And Jakes has a drop axle lift. I have yet to find a bolt on IFS though. There are a few guys on this forum who have successfully fabricated an IFS from scratch or an ATV suspension on a Marathon.

I have a buddy who is about to upgrade his Marathon motor with something from Electrical Motor Products, Inc. (See this thread). He's being told it will have 20% more torque up to 16 mph. And high speeds of up to 23 mph. I think he'll get the engine in in the next week or two & I'll update that thread with the bottom line. He's also added bigger gauge battery cables, a 4" lift & 22" tires.

Look up "EZGo Marathon" on Ebay & you will find other things too, windshields, seats, seat covers, etc.

$600 is pretty good compared to what I see around here. $1000 - $1400 is not uncommon.

Good luck!
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
dhook
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

One of the things I wanted to do was put a rear seat on the back but.....can't seem to find one and are they all like 700 bucks???? or I am just not searching right. 93 and up seems to be all i run into...Any one recommend or point me to a rear seat site for this thing.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
dhook
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Not sure what IFS means but I am glad you mentioned lift. Is Jakes Drop Axle lift the one most people put on a marathon?
Old 03-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #8
decipher
Gone Wild
Yamaha

IFS = independent front suspension
decipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yea, what he said. ^^^
Take a look at Decipher's G1 build thread. That type of suspension will give a better ride in most all conditions, right up to & including some pretty bumpy trails. An independant front suspension can be bought for some of the newer EZGos, Yamahas & Club Cars from the likes of Jakes or All Sport. And a few guys are retrofitting old ATV suspensions into a cart.

I'd say that the quality of the front suspension, in order.... IFS is best, then a drop axle, then a block lift (low budget). A drop axle is stronger than a block lift, but doesn't offer any more suspension travel, so the ride is similar. A good long travel IFS can give like 6" or 8" of travel to soak up the bumps.

I haven't found a rear seat for the Marathon yet. But I have seen them on a few carts. Keep in mind that you will probably need to upgrade the rear springs in addition to that spendy seat. A few guys in this forum have made a rear seat / bed with pretty good results.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
sak00
What was I thinking?

Mixed Breed

As far as the rear seat, I haven't seen a kit for the Marathons. I had to build my own.

sak00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO