lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
jimbolek
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Drum removal

I'm an old grandpa new to this forum. I'm renovating an EZGO cart with a couple of my 13 grandsons. We're having difficulty removing the rear drums to check the brakes. I'd appreciate any suggestions. I'm told I don't have to remove any of the bolts on the back. Would heating the drum help? Can I use a gear puller? I've removed auto drums in the past and I'm not sure why this is confusing me (unless I'm just getting senile"). Appreciate any advice. Thanks
jimbolek is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Drum removal

What year cart? Welcome to BGW!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
rib33024

Welcome to bgw

no you dont have to remove the bolts on the back----do you know what year the cart is??

Aint there a nut on the end of the axle?
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Welcome !!!
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:05 AM   #5
HDRyder
Flirtin' with Disaster

E-Z-GO

First step is to start getting some PB Blaster in the splines.... sometimes they are extremely difficult to get off though. When you go back together use some anti-seize, it'll be the best decision you made in the future...
HDRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Since I don't know the age of those boys it's going to be your call on whether you want them to "experience" what happens in the shop/garage when something is inordinately stubborn and refuses to follow standard R&R protocol.

In my experience it will take at least the following and not necessarily in this exact order.

One can of penetrating lubricant.
An adult beverage of your choice.
One BFH.
A solid working knowledge of profane words.
An adult beverage of your choice.
Additional profanity.
More of the BFH or any other larger tool in the shop.
Oh, let's not forget at least one trip to the medicine cabinet!!! No ER visits plz.

That about does it. Those hubs can be a bugger but follow the advice from previous posts and use a good anti-seize upon re-install and then welcome those boys to the man cave!!!!
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:10 PM   #7
jimbolek
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'd like to thank forum members for their advice on drum removal. This morning I made the return trip to my barn ready to tackle this project. Before starting I sat back and looked over the whole cart only to discover that I was right about being senile; I forgot to release the parking brake!!! Needless to say The drum came off with little difficulty. I may or may not share this stupidity with my grandsons (probably will). I have removed the hub as well thinking it might be a good idea to grease the axel. There is a retainer ring that looks like it should be removed to get 'inside' to apply grease but it's also being stubborn. Is it worth messing with this? Again I appreciate both past and future advice from more knowledgeable members.
jimbolek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbolek View Post
This morning I made the return trip to my barn ready to tackle this project. Before starting I sat back and looked over the whole cart only to discover that I was right about being senile; I forgot to release the parking brake!!! Needless to say The drum came off with little difficulty.
If I had a nickle for everytime this happened.......

Good work, Jim. You just learned your first carting lesson - Never tell these guys you did something silly!

Your cart sounds much older than my TXT so I'll let the others help there, and they will. BTW, share it with the boys, but turn it around and blame one or both of them. LOL!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbolek View Post
I'd like to thank forum members for their advice on drum removal. This morning I made the return trip to my barn ready to tackle this project. Before starting I sat back and looked over the whole cart only to discover that I was right about being senile; I forgot to release the parking brake!!! Needless to say The drum came off with little difficulty. I may or may not share this stupidity with my grandsons (probably will). I have removed the hub as well thinking it might be a good idea to grease the axel. There is a retainer ring that looks like it should be removed to get 'inside' to apply grease but it's also being stubborn. Is it worth messing with this? Again I appreciate both past and future advice from more knowledgeable members.

Thanks for sharing that with us, glad you got it, --Hey SHT happens, let us know how it goes--
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:37 PM   #10
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I bet there are a lot more senior moments that happen and we don't get feed back about them.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO