lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
Madscidexter
Not Yet Wild

Default Upgrading TXT Series Motor

Hello all,

This is my first post. Thanks to all for the hours of reading material that has been supplied.

I am currently in the process of upgrading my 96 TXT series EZ-GO. It currently has a 300 amp controller installed. I was going to upgrade the motor to a E-Z-GO 8.6 PEAK HP @ 4850 Rpms, 36 Volt, 21 Mph, (Higher Speed) DC Electric Motor. I am looking for more speed out of the cart. I know that I will be lossing torque with running it with the 300 amp controller, and I plan on upgrading the controller later to get the torque back. What I need to know is will I be risking burning up the 300 amp controller with this motor upgrade?
Madscidexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
wilster734
IDK&YDE

Club Car

Default Re: Upgrading TXT Series Motor

i would think if you did a lot of slow speed driving you might lose the majic smoke in the controller but otherwise probably your ok
wilster734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
WickedCarts
NOT a Sponsor

personally the upgrade motor is only as good as the controller
WickedCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
Madscidexter
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. I knew that the motor would not be used to it's full potenial running it with a 300 amp controller. I was just worried that I would burn up the current controller before I was able to get in the new one.

Should I just avoid the big hills until then new controller comes in?

From what I've been researching, the D&D 170-006-0001 Motor would be a good canidate for both speed and torque upgrade. I would gain speed with the 300 amp controller, but lose torque. When I upgrade to the 400-500 amp controller I should gain my torque back. Do y'all agree with this thinking?

Thanks for the help.
Madscidexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

have yours rebuilt by EMP, site sponsor, and they will make it compatable with your facotry controller and upgraded and be CHEAPER. Also replace every wire on that cart with 4ga. it will help keep heat down and less likely to burn up the controller. You will need to upgrade to 4ga with a 400+ amp controller anyway.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO