lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
BaggageCar
Not Yet Wild

Default Turns over no spark

I replaced the battery terminals as they were pretty corroded. When I turned the key on and pressed the pedal it spun over briefly (only once with pedal). I could however jump the starter solenoid and get it to spin. Noticed there was no spark at the plugs. I am guessing that the micro switch and maybe the coil are bad or bad connection, possibley even starter solenoid? Are the coils expensive?
I will also replace the fuse block and some other wiring that are not in good shape. There was some carbon build up in the left cylinder spark plug hole. I will get the adapter for my compression tester and check it. Should it be at about 120?

Thanks,
Bryan
BaggageCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Turns over no spark

I would tap the micro switch with the pedal down to check that out. Sometimes after sitting or prolonged use in dirt or water the contact can corrode and make a bad connection. To be sure probe the switch wires to check continuity or use a meter. I can never stress to anyone the importance of good connections. One bad ground will shut'er down so I'm glad to see your on top of that. How bout including the type of cart and motor you have. Compression values are different b/w 2 and 4 strokes. 120 is good on 2 stroke but a 4 stroke needs 135 to 150.. Coils are not cheap but give us some more specific symptoms when you get the micro switch worked out and we will go from there....Good luck
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
BaggageCar
Not Yet Wild

ez go,

It's a 1999 EZGO hauler 1110 with a Robin 4 cycle 350. My plan is to shorten it about 10" to use it as a baggage car for my bus conversion. It will fit into a baggage compartment. Thought it would be cool to use on camping trips. I was golfing at the little 9 hole course down the road from me on monday and happened to ask the course manager if they ever sold any of their old carts. He said no we usually run them until they die, lol. I said ok well thanks anyway and he said hey I do have a gas powered utility cart that quit running and you can have it if you want it. He said they rebuilt the engine on it a while back. The hour meter shows 1367 hours. Whether it is correct or not I don't know. I guess these hour meters run while the key is on and not necessarily running? So here I am. For the price I figure I cant go wrong. Its in overall really good shape. Just need to get it running.

Well after replacing the battery cables, fixing grounds and a new fuse block I got it to turn over quite a few time and it even fired pretty good once
Now the starter solenoid just clicks. So I will need to get a new one. Where is the best place to get one? I figure the local cart shop would be more expensive. It does have spark now. I am planning on getting to the micro switch this weekend as well to check connections as well.

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0930.JPG (193.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-08-2010, 06:49 AM   #4
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Here again I would check and clean all connections really well. Sometimes tapping the solenoid with the pedal mashed will get it going to b/c of the same reasons with the micro switch. As far as the replacement goes I would have to stick with either the site sponsors here which you will probably find a good deal or you local cart shop. The reason for this is the solenoid on these carts are continuous duty. Whenever your moving the solenoid is engaged. A regular auto solenoid is only engaged when you hit the key and the motor cranks then it disengages. These cart solenoids are heavy duty and built for continuous cycle. An auto solenoid will work, it just won't last near as long. Once more, check site sponsors here and you might catch a deal.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
BaggageCar
Not Yet Wild

ez go,

I found one from one of the site sponsors for under $20. Looks like a good deal to me. Just figured they would be more expensive. Checking the micro switch and taking loose and cleaning all the rest of the connections on the solenoid and coil were on my list today. Will update later.

Bryan
Old 05-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Thats a great deal on that coil. Site sponsors rock. Hope this makes it right.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
BaggageCar
Not Yet Wild

Well I cleaned all the contacts and my solenoid, clicking is gone. Now it will not do anything. Have checked for power to and from the micro switch and all is good. I can jump the solenoid and the engine will turn over but no power to or from the coil using a test light. So I am wondering if the ignitor is bad. Anything I am missing?

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 05-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggageCar View Post
Well I cleaned all the contacts and my solenoid, clicking is gone. Now it will not do anything. Have checked for power to and from the micro switch and all is good. I can jump the solenoid and the engine will turn over but no power to or from the coil using a test light. So I am wondering if the ignitor is bad. Anything I am missing?

Thanks,
Bryan
Sounds like you might have missed a wire..
Old 05-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
BaggageCar
Not Yet Wild

I have checked and rechecked them all five times. With the key on and jumping the solenoid shouldn't I still have power to the coil, just like any gas engine? I have power everywhere else including the back up sensor. This is one of the reasons I like a standard schematic. Easier to trace.

Bryan
Old 05-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #10
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

The ignitor only gets fire and ground from the solenoid posts.. Replacing it shouldnt be the problem. Are you getting 12 volts at the solenoid posts when you press the pedal?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO