lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
jbales
Not Yet Wild

Smile Solenoid Troubleshooting

Greetings, I have a 1995 series cart that starting cutting out on me during normal use (<5 minute runs) at our lease last Fall. It was just occasionally, then it progressively got worse and then quit all at once and hasn't worked since (I suspect it was getting hot judging by the temp of the box cover, this was before I knew what was under the cover!).

The solenoid clicks when the pedal is pressed and I tried to jump the 2 large posts but it does not run the motor. I followed the directions I found below and got the result in bold. I had 37.1 volts from the pack and 37 through the solenoid on the battery side, and the same 37 on the controller side. I am just looking for a little confirmation that this could be a bad solenoid and not something more costly to replace. Also is it best practice to replace the resistors at the same time?

Turn the key switch ON and place in FORWARD
Connect (-) probe of meter to BL- battery post.(This probe will REMAIN on the post for the rest of the testing procedures)
Place the (+) probe on the battery side of the solenoid's large post (If the reading is below battery voltage, check all wiring and terminals).
Place the (+) probe to the controller side of the solenoid's large post. The reading should be 0.1 to 3 volts less than battery voltage.
If the reading is more than 3 volts less the battery voltage, the resistor is faulty.
If the voltage is the same as the battery voltage, replace the solenoid.
jbales is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Solenoid Troubleshooting

It sounds like you have a bad solenoid ... I would replace the resistor and diode at the same time. 250 ohm resistor and 1 amp diode. Good Luck
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
jbales
Not Yet Wild

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

I had problems with my cart that I thought was solenoid. Ended up being bad ground out of solenoid. Yes, I paid the $82 dumb tax. Double check everythink.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

I had problems with my cart that I thought was solenoid. Ended up being bad ground out of solenoid. Yes, I paid the $82 dumb tax. (new W/R solenoid) Double check everything.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Sorry for double post for 1 letter change.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
jbales
Not Yet Wild

Well, back to the drawing board, I replaced the solenoid today with a known good one and got the same result.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Put the cart on jack stands and connect a short battery cable across the solenoid from one large terminal to the other large terminal on the solenoid..... this jumper should make the cart run.... if not then tug on all motor, F&R, Controller and battery cables........ if none of those connections are bad/weak then likely your controller is bad.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #9
jbales
Not Yet Wild

Yeah, I've done that and no movement. Since this is a series cart, I'd like to just get it running again, what ballpark would a normal stock replacement controller cost?
Old 05-20-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Alltrax 300amp lists for 328.00
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO