lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
stalt
Not Yet Wild

Default Neglected G1, tune up and...

So I recently got a 1985 G1 (AM5)with a campsite I purchased. It has been neglected pretty bad. I am not looking to do any crazy rebuild, but would like to get it running reasonable well.

So I have ordered.

Air Filter
Pre-Filter
Spark Plug
Generator Belt
Drive Belt
Fuel Filter.
Is ther anyhting else any one whould suggest I do right away?

It starts fine but then does this little surge thing. It will have good acceleration and then Bog Down, Then Accellerate, Bog Down and do that repeatedley.

I am thinking of starting with the above and go from there.

Any thoughts or suggestions or other things that should be done for an old neglected machine? Here in Canada we dont run them all year, so I would bet this machine was not properly shut down for the season either...

I plan on getting another machine, but it would be nice to get this one running well for now.

Thanks!
stalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2010, 05:27 AM   #2
chuddly
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Neglected G1, tune up and...

the carb could be clogged up. if it has sat for a while like you said it could be full of nasty stuff. worth checking while your in there anyway
chuddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
jimdurt
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Yep I would definetly clean the carb real good. Lots of gunk built up if it was sitting for very long. Other than that I think you are on the right path changing all the filters and belts. If you can get a compression test that would be good information to have.
jimdurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
stalt
Not Yet Wild

IS there a specific carb cleaner you all would recommend?
Old 06-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
stalt
Not Yet Wild

IS there a specific carb cleaner you all would recommend?

Also I have no idea what kind of oil he put in there. WOuld you recomend I drain the oil resevoir and fill with yamilube so I am for sure not mixing oils?

Is ther another 2 stroke oil you would recommend?
Old 06-28-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
jimdurt
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

No specific cleaner needed. Just Carb cleaner in a can. Just run out the oil that's in there and when it gets low drain the remaining and fill with your choice.
jimdurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:00 AM   #7
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Re: engine oil. Running out the old oil and refilling is a good idea, but may take a couple of decades- it doesn't use much. Drain & refill will be quicker if you are concerned about what might be in there. Use a high-quality AIR-COOLED 2-cycle oil like Yamalube or snowmobile oil. Not outboard motor oil. More info :
http://www.ultralighthomepage.com/OIL/oil.html
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Do all that and clean the clutches. Get a can of brake cleaner too and clean the clutches. Lube them or the shafts and clutch weights depends what clutch is on it. They don't run well if the clutches are not shifting right from dirt and/or a bad belt. If still not running well check out the rubber boot that mounts the carb for leaks and cracks. You may have blown crank seals common in these old carts but you can do them in the cart. They usually cause lots of choke needed to get it to run and poor idle. You may see oil leaking at crank. If comp is low you can put a bored cylinder on these cheap, first find out what year iirc 82s are odd and not same as rest. If you drain the oil make sure you don't get air in the line. I would just suck it out to the bottom and put new in. if concerned the oil is not high enough quality, just mix some yamalube with the gas at 100 or 150:1 maybe until oil is near gone. I'd only use yamalube they take very little, but maybe you can't get it then get a good injection air cooled rated oil should be fine. These motors are not stressed like other much higher performance 2 strokes, is likely it would take no oil at all to damage the engine. They are supposed to run 100:1 mix until you lead foot the gas then they get more, that is the injection. I'd guess any injection oil would work, a non injection oil may be too thick to pump correctly/etc.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Check your exhaust pipe and muffler for blockage, i.e. mouse/bird nest can make your motor run funny.
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I worked on one that was plugged with carbon. Stuck a rod up the pipe and hard black stuff fell out, it ran again.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha