lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #11
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Speed Spring picture installed needed

No I haven't. I've had to change out 2 accelerator cable's, but probably because they were the originals and needed replacing anyway. I think it out way's the damage that could be caused to the motor when bypassing the govenor, but that's just me.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Smallblock--Is the speed spring the same as cranking the gov nut in? I'm confused.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:19 PM   #13
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Dave,
The speed spring is a replacement for the stock spring for the governor. It has 40% more strength then the original spring. A speed spring tightened 1/3 the way is equal to stock spring tighted all the way. It gives you the ability to adjust top speed above or below stock limit but still allows the governor to function normally. It is much safer then simply bypassing governor. As stated before I have tested them and have ran one on my ride to work for 5 years now. We also have two drag race carts that are running them in. No issues to date.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:46 PM   #14
chompy
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockMan View Post
Chompy
Not trying to start a pissing contest here, But have you ever used a speed spring? I have never seen ANY of these problems.

I drive a golf cart to work 11 months each year it has a 18hp vtwin 8:1 high speed gears 215-35-12 tires and a speed spring. It is mostly driven between 20 and 40 MPH and has been for the last 5 years. It easily sees 1500 miles a year and has had zero of the problems you mentioned. It also is on the original 2002 throttle cable.

Smallblock is a pretty good size Yamaha dealer and has installed many of our speed springs, Dave have you ever seen any of these failures or problems
I have seen and repaired a few of these things. Most of them don't have speed springs but they do have excessive tension on the govenor spring, basically having the same effect as a "speed spring". Some of these thing were buzzing quite heavily. I have also seen transmissions lunched on broken govenor forks in G2/G9's that had too much tension on the govenor springs. I really don't want to argue the point because the whole point here is to help out people. I just think that bypassing the govenor creates less pressure on on the inner workings of the transmission while realizing that the driver needs to excersize restraint when driving his or her car. Just my opinion. By the way, many of the cars I work on see 100 miles a week.
chompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha