lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
SalinasValleyRider
Not Yet Wild

Default 1986 EZ Go Gas Questions Please help

Picked this bad boy up in no run condition, got a new batterey did a quick tune up and got it running, got it to go around the block 3-4 times shut it off and it would not start again. I checked the batterey voltage and it was under 11 volts.

so my questions-

Do these carts have charging systems?

What kind of system if any do they have?

Is the starter motor supposed to continuously run while the cart it running?

Im new to carts, but it seems odd to me that the starter motor would keep running while your driving and i think this may be the cause of the batterey discharging so quickly...any help is appreciated.

SalinasValleyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
BigRed77
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1986 EZ Go Gas Questions Please help

what do you mean by the starter keeps running?

I believe the starter should keep turning, but after the engine starts running the starter stops drawing power and begins to generate power re-charging the battery.
BigRed77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
SalinasValleyRider
Not Yet Wild

seems to me that the starter keeps cranking like its trying to keep starting the car. i know it keeps spinning but i think its still drawing power. what would be the easiest way to test the starter to see if its working properly?
Old 07-15-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
BigRed77
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I would (read this may not be the best way, but its what I would probably figure out to do)
first get the rear wheels off the ground on good solid jack stands.
my thought is to loosen the negative battery lead so you can pull it loose while the pedal is depressed and engine running
then check the voltage from the positive wire to the negative wire (that is unhooked) to see if it is putting voltage back into the battery.

there may be a better way to know, without unhooking anything that somebody else may be able to chime in with.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
SalinasValleyRider
Not Yet Wild

ill give it a shot when i get home. thanks for the helP!
Old 07-15-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Actually, you could just leave the cables connected to the battery and test that you are getting feedback from the starter/generator.

And yes, it is a starter/generator and it is designed to charge the battery after it starts the engine.
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

After the starter gets the engine goin' it assumes the role of the generator by the engine which is now running by compression. This will keep the generator moving to charge the batt... When you stop, it goes back to bein a starter til combustion takes over again and starts chargin...
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:14 AM   #8
BigRed77
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by essness View Post
Actually, you could just leave the cables connected to the battery and test that you are getting feedback from the starter/generator.
My thinking on disconnecting the cables was in case the starter is still running/trying to start, it would still be pulling amps, and might be confusing to tell if its pulling or pushing the amps you would be reading on the meter. If its disconnected from the battery, and it is showing amperage, then you know its generating, since it couldnt be drawing.
does that make sense?
Old 07-16-2010, 07:26 AM   #9
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed77 View Post
My thinking on disconnecting the cables was in case the starter is still running/trying to start, it would still be pulling amps, and might be confusing to tell if its pulling or pushing the amps you would be reading on the meter. If its disconnected from the battery, and it is showing amperage, then you know its generating, since it couldnt be drawing.
does that make sense?
It sure does Red. My thought was to start with just seeing if the return was greater than 12 volts to see if it's charging.
I suspect this may be a bad battery??
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO