lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default 12 volt batts for 36 volt cart

ok since i ain,t into putting 12 volt batteries in a 36 volt cart i,m gonna ask.......i have a brand new set of 12 volt cart batteries that i am taking out of a 48 volt cart and putting a set of 8 volt trojens in and i have a 36 volt cart that needs batteries so since i can,t buy another set of 6 volts yet i,m going to put three of the 12 volt batteries in......anything special i need to know??????? and lastly if i want to convert the 36 volt cart to 48 volt i can use the 4th battery right and than just get a 48 volt soleniod and F&R right? the motor i can leave in......the charger if i take the crows foot receptical out of the cart and put the round 48 volt in than it should charge right? and i can use the same charger on both carts.........forgive me guys but i don,t get into changing voltage much at all and i would rather be safe than sorry................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 12 volt batts for 36 volt cart

check out some of the other threads on OBC and charging.

48 volts on a 36 volt cart is a great Idea. (this is something I want to do)

will it charge no unless you ground the third pin! then it will also overcharge! unless you have an OBC or charger that has controller built into it.
gaminde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Like gaminde mentioned you will need the OBC to have the 48v charger work properly. My question then is this..... you have a complete running 48v cart with 4/12s and a 36v that needs batts and you want it to go 48v, right?

Why not leave the 4/12v in the 48v cart and run them 2-3 yrs until they die and concentrate on converting the 36v cart to 48v with new 6/8v and all that is needed?
It is a resistor cart, no?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

scottyb

thats a great idea!! install new batteries, controller and get a new charger that cart will be the fastest thing arround.
gaminde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You Bet I have done lots of them and sold lots more conversion kits...... nobody ever said they were not impressed with the increase in torque & speed
Old 05-19-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

ok something to think about for now so i assume that its not a problem to put three 12 volt batteries in the 36 volt cart if i want to? just so i can move the cart around when needed???...................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It will work, surely.
You have golf cart 12v so it may work pretty good....... You will still have a reduced storage capacity due to the lack of lead compared with the orig 6/6v.
But she will run around just fine as long as the charge lasts....
Old 05-19-2011, 11:51 PM   #8
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: 12 volt batts for 36 volt cart

Some more idea's.

Make a jumper for the chargers and charge both with it. I have found this little jem also and it works great on the power drive 2 charger. I can charge any 48 volt cart I want now.

Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car