lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
D-Money24
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO PDS 48V upgrade questions.

Frst, let me say that I'm really glad i found this site, as I'm new to the cart world and have found this site very helpful.

I currently have a 36V, 2005 EXGO PDS cart w/ a 4" lift an 22" tires. I recently installed a programable Alltrax 400 DCX controller & 4 gauge wiring. I was thinking about upgrading to 48V. I will be using this cart for hunting in moderate terain and was wanting more torque. Questions?

1.Other than getting a HD solenoid is ther anything else I need to do?

2. Can I use 6 8V bat as opposed to 8 6Volt Bat?

3. Will this hurt the stock motor?

4. How much more torque/speed should I gain?

5. Will I increase runniing time on a charge?

6. Anything else I should know?

Also, are there any tricks to getting longer running time on a charge? Thanks in advance for all the help on the site.
D-Money24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: EZGO PDS 48V upgrade questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Money24 View Post

1.Other than getting a HD solenoid is ther anything else I need to do?
You will need a way to charge a 48v pack.

Quote:
2. Can I use 6 8V bat as opposed to 8 6Volt Bat?
Yes, but either method will work.

Quote:
3. Will this hurt the stock motor?
No, the stock motor will be fine on 48v.

Quote:
4. How much more torque/speed should I gain?
About 33% on each

Quote:
5. Will I increase runniing time on a charge?
If you go with 8-6v batteries your range will increase nicely. Using 6-8v batteries your range should be about the same as now.

Quote:
6. Anything else I should know?
48v is great! I prefer the 8-6v setup for a few reasons:
Lower cost by just adding 2 fresh batteries
Lower cost by just adding a 12v automotive smart charger
Still allows 12v taps from the pack for accessories and such

Quote:
Also, are there any tricks to getting longer running time on a charge?
When faced with a high-load situation back-off the throttle to 3/4. The cart will not slow down any, and the pack won't discharge as fast. Keeping your foot to the floor up a long hill just discharges the pack as heat in the wires.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
D-Money24
Not Yet Wild

Thnks Gor.. I haven't upgraded to 48V yet, only the alltrax 400amp controller and 4 gauge wires. I took it to thr hunting property this weekend and it performed well. I do have one concern. After riding for a while the cart wouldn't make it up a moderate hill (bat little over 1/2) With a little pushing the cart made it, but smoke was coming out of the motor.(not good) We let it sit for awhile and all was fine, it never shut off like others I've heard of. I haven't had a chance to take the motor off to examine it, but I'm thinking I need to get it rebuilt with lower gears for more torque or get another motor. It has run fine since, but does get hot after riding awhile and you can sometimes smell it. What do you think it is and what is your suggestion. Any advice is welcome.
D-Money24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Smoke from a motor is never good. It would appear that your controller is sending plenty of amps to the motor. Your problem sounds torque related, you're not getting enough of it, and the motor is suffering. It won't last long under that abuse (smoking).

I have not built a hunting buggy, so don't look to me for the RIGHT setup. That being said, you have a few options, including a torque motor (lower top end), a 2/speed motor rebuild via EMP, or even the available torque gears for your differential (again, lower top end). Add a 48v conversion and you should be good to go. But wait for others who have gone this route to chime in. I'm a street cart guy!
Old 05-19-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome......................
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:12 AM   #6
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Was your motor smoking or the terminals on motor smoking? check them for good contact. If motor is smoking it doesn't sound good. Your cart should have plenty of torque with your controller. It should pull hills with no problem. If motor is bad EMP can take care of that with a rebuild. Call them for expert advice. Be sure to let them know if you want to upgrade to higher volts. There is no substitute for higher voltage.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
bon1957@aol.com
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
You will need a way to charge a 48v pack.

Yes, but either method will work.

No, the stock motor will be fine on 48v.

About 33% on each

If you go with 8-6v batteries your range will increase nicely. Using 6-8v batteries your range should be about the same as now.

48v is great! I prefer the 8-6v setup for a few reasons:
Lower cost by just adding 2 fresh batteries
Lower cost by just adding a 12v automotive smart charger
Still allows 12v taps from the pack for accessories and such

When faced with a high-load situation back-off the throttle to 3/4. The cart will not slow down any, and the pack won't discharge as fast. Keeping your foot to the floor up a long hill just discharges the pack as heat in the wires.
can you tell me more about charging with a smart charger? and using 8 6v batt? how do they fit in a 98 club car
bon1957@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:26 AM   #8
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Don't know, never done a Club Car.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:25 PM   #9
bond007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Check the terminals on your motor leads, wherever there is bad or corroded connections, that's where the resistance to the current is and it will smoke the wire rubber or plastic there, gives off a lot of smelly smoke. If you go through mud and water you may have bad connections on those terminals.

How old are your batteries? the older they get, the more they will heat up the wires and connections. The less power they have (especially after riding a while), the more pedal you give it, which puts even more amperage to it and makes it heat up in the resistant spots more and more.

If you have 3 to 4yr old batteries or older go ahead and get new batteries and definitely do the 48v upgrade. It added enough torque to mine (with 25" tires) with 6-8volts that I don't need an aftermarket motor.....yet anyway. I runs up hills now no straining. You will be glad you did it.
bond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
dagrad
Not Yet Wild

Like what others have said...the 48 volt is hands down the best initial investment you can do for your golf cart. 30% more speed and torque. 8 6v battery is a best route: 1) increases the range of your vehicle. 2) its much cheaper adding 2 more batteries then buying 6 new 8v.

For an extra $100 I would recommend upgrading to 2 gauge cables. I purchased 3 sets of 72" 2 gauge cables (17.99ea) and 8 pair of terminals (2.29 pair) at autozone instead of buying pre-made sets for 200.00 + at any website. This route allows for flexibility and customization (yes, you have to crimp them yourself). btw: 4 gauge only saves you 5-10 bucks overall so 2 gauge is a best buy. if you don't upgrade the cables...you'll be sorry. I had a battery terminal melting...and my golf cart stopped. Luckily I was only 2 blocks from my home. (i pushed it)

Once you are done with those two upgrades...there are plenty of 48v chargers out there. I did the research....and settle on the 48v genius on board charger. They go for $400 brand new at some sites...but $179 at amazon. (that is a steal) Wire the charger +, - cables pairing up batteries..and you are set. The charger weighs about 5lbs..and sits in your vehicle..instead of that huge box that sits at home.

FYI: i took my cart one extra step. purchased a 12v battery to power the accessories in my cart (head&break& turn signal lights, stereo,etc). Of course this does require a separate charger ($25), but if for any reason your main battery runs out or fails...you have that one remain to get you home. :) call it...."insurance"
dagrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO