lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
sawyer
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default "Winterizing" 2001 CC DS

This is my first year with a buggy, (a 2001 DS with original batteries), at our seasonal place, and I'm wondering what my best steps are for over-wintering. I don't have an indoor storage site and up here in Canada it can get cccccold. What are the best steps to take?

Charge up and detach the battery leads?
Leave the charger plugged in all winter?

Thanks
sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: "Winterizing" 2001 CC DS

Winterizing! lol... It's 94 degrees outside! But I'm in Georgia.

Anyways, for a 48 Volt system just leave it plugged in and flip it into the TOW position if it's a Regen car. If it's a series car, you won't have a TOW switch and don't need to worry about that. Just plug it in and make sure the batteries have plenty of water in them. Although, you may want to try and take any precautions you can to keep the batteries from freezing. A good battery shouldn't freeze if the electrolyte levels are up, but an old worn out battery with a lot of water in it will freeze hard as a rock.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post

Anyways, for a 48 Volt system just leave it plugged in and flip it into the TOW position if it's a Regen car. If it's a series car, you won't have a TOW switch and don't need to worry about that. Just plug it in and make sure the batteries have plenty of water in them. Although, you may want to try and take any precautions you can to keep the batteries from freezing. A good battery shouldn't freeze if the electrolyte levels are up, but an old worn out battery with a lot of water in it will freeze hard as a rock.
Dumb question. Is the IQ cars considered a Regen car?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
sawyer
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post

Yeah... still in the 70's here, but it'll be winter before we know it and it is sure to go < 0 F. Yes it is a regen. Is there any issue with the OBC not working if in "tow"

Thanks
sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer View Post
Yeah... still in the 70's here, but it'll be winter before we know it and it is sure to go < 0 F. Yes it is a regen. Is there any issue with the OBC not working if in "tow"

Thanks
No issue at all. The OBC still functions perfectly in the TOW position.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
Dumb question. Is the IQ cars considered a Regen car?
The IQ car has regenerative features, minus the Regen problems, however it's not referred to as a "Regen" car. That name refers to the mid 90s - 2001 Regen1 and RegenII cars.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

the only problem with leaving the charger plugged in is if there are any power surges...............not sure what it would do but the elec,s i don,t want to find out...........now my carts arn,t in canada but right near lake erie we get some brutal winters...........this year i plan on bringing 2 of them home and storing in my garage but for the past 15 years they have spent winter months outside at camp uncovered and not plugged in..............i tried the cover thing but the critters would get up under the covers and eat the freakin seats and make nests in the battery compartment out of the weather......lots of damage.......................now with good solid strong fully charged batteries i can leave the carts sit outside with no sort of protection for 5 months and have 0 issues with them...........your not gonna get away with this if you have iffy batteries but a good soluid pack will hold their own thurout our winters......and i don,t come back to dead carts in april either.........there are also times when i go to camp thurout winter maybe once a month or 2 times over all thur winter and if i do i,ll throw the charger on while i,m there over night.....but if i don,t make it in the winter i no longer worry about in.........on the other hand with iffy batteries your in big trouble you,ll go back and find your batteries had froze and blew the sides out and are crap........we have to many power outages up there in winter for me to feel good about leaving charger plugged in all winter........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car