lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
ColbyKiller
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Alltrax Controller or Low Gears?

Pretty much as the title states I'm looking to get more bottom end. The cart I just purchased is a 2001 EZGO with from what I can tell is it has the PDS controller, it's lifted, and has 22" tires but has very little on the bottom. I realize now after joining that I should have looked more into this before purchasing one as far as getting a series vs sepex but what's done is done I guess. I'm not looking to spend a fortune on this thing, otherwise I would have went ahead and bought a Stealth or Bad Boy but I would at least like some bottom end grunt. Top speed is not an issue for me at all. I've not gotten any avatar worthy pics yet but plan to today.

Anyway, besides the obvious of both options, which one of the two would I be better off with? The 15:1 gears or a different controller and what could I possibly expect from both? I doubt that I'll be doing a 48V conversion unless the batteries leave me with no other option but as of now they are not old, and are seemingly adequate to this point. Truthfully, this is hopefully just going to hold me over until I can put up the money for a Stealth or Bad Boy so the less money spent, the better. Any opinions or help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
ColbyKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
ColbyKiller
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alltrax Controller or Low Gears?

Oh, and if you couldn't tell, I'm planning on hunting out of this with some fairly rough terrain, but for the most part, I can avoid it if there's an obstacle that the cart can't handle. I really just need it to transport me to the top of most hills. Just to help clarify...
Old 09-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

You mention a couple of other carts, so I guess you plan on using it for hunting?

Umm you posted as I did! lol
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
ColbyKiller
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHusker View Post
You mention a couple of other carts, so I guess you plan on using it for hunting?
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHusker View Post
Umm you posted as I did! lol
And yes.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

I believe you would be better off swapping out the controller, the stock one will not like the load and slow driving that will come with driving your cart this way, it will go into thermal overload. You can set the settings on the controller so there is not as much speed. The other option is sell this cart and find a series cart.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
ColbyKiller
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Crappy picture I know but I went ahead and put it up for at least somewhat of an idea of the cart. The only reason I'm against getting another cart is this one is setup nearly exactly how I wanted it to be already. In some aspects it's setup even more than what I would have done. Truthfully after adding up just what it has in extras, I did really good on it when buying it but I'm not sure I can justify switching carts at this point. Basically I got the cart for a little more than what just the accessories would have cost me. As far as programming the controller I have or having someone do it, how would I go about that or who do I need to contact? Estimate of price? Would it be worth it versus just buying a new one? Emphasis on less $$$ vs all out stump pulling performance. I have a Kawi Mule for handling the big chores, all I need this for is transport for me 90% of the time and maybe one other person 10% of the time. Usually deer 0% of the time. Just need to make it up hills without burning something up, hopefully a little faster than I could walk up them, and without having to worry about if I'm going to need to get off and push to make it up the hill.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
as350pilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Get your controller and solenoid from Scottyb, www.cartsunlimited.net, I'm sure he could program it correctly, then I would get in touch with PlumQuick and see if they can rework your motor for more torque. I can tell you that my DCS cart with an Alltrax 400 DCX doesn't have much torque. It's fine for what I do, so i don't mind.
as350pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Upgrade kit with a 400amp Controller, solenoid, and 8pc cable set will increase torque by 35 to 40%, It will also increase top speed as it lets the motor free rpm. For what you want this is the best route, if you still want more torque go with an aftermarket torque motor. You will have to do the electronic upgrades whether you go with the torque motor or not. I have had good results with the above mention upgrade package and 7hp torque motor.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #9
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by as350pilot View Post
Get your controller and solenoid from Scottyb, www.cartsunlimited.net, I'm sure he could program it correctly, then I would get in touch with PlumQuick and see if they can rework your motor for more torque. I can tell you that my DCS cart with an Alltrax 400 DCX doesn't have much torque. It's fine for what I do, so i don't mind.
If you do this as AS350 mentioned, you will be just as bad as a bad boy buggy! (the basic 2wd model)

Both "The Beast" and "Bad Boy" (both very nice machines) are nothing more than super tricked out EZGO's
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #10
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

i vote gears.

if all you want is more torque, you need to lower the gear ratio. this will decrease the load on the controller. going with a larger controller just gives the motor the current it is asking for at the current load/gear ratio. you will get more torque, but at the cost of added current consumption. ie: shorter runs times, longer charge times, shorter battery service life.

gearing down is the most practical first step.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear, gears, high, low, torque
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO