lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Question about high red zone on SOC meter

I've looked over a number of old posts and can't find the answer to this.
What does it mean when the arrow goes well up into the upper red zone when its charging? Is this bad?
Thanks.
Silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Question about high red zone on SOC meter

Verify the reading with a digital multimeter, then you will know what it means.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
AzPete
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Any meter is a guess for exact numbers until you verify what it is telling you by using a digital volt meter.

The red would indicate a possible overcharge condition......but only after knowing what the digital voltmeter says. One time verifying the readings and you will then know.
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:28 AM   #4
libertybellcdr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think its a good idea to keep in mind how inaccurate the SOC meters are. I read a post about 1 week ago where someone installed their digital volt meter next to their SOC meter. There was a HUGE difference.

One of the best decisions I made was to install a digital volt meter in the dash. I know exactly how much battery I have.
libertybellcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:28 AM   #5
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks everyone.
I was just curious what that high red area means (whether its accurate or not). Would an "overcharge" just mean you're charging beyond what the batteries hold?......and if so, shouldn't the charger automatically stop? (if you have that kind of charger).
Old 09-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
AzPete
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would think it means the charger may be malfunctioning and putting to much voltage to the batteries causing the fluids to boil. Again, depends on what the voltage reads.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertybellcdr View Post
I think its a good idea to keep in mind how inaccurate the SOC meters are. I read a post about 1 week ago where someone installed their digital volt meter next to their SOC meter. There was a HUGE difference.

One of the best decisions I made was to install a digital volt meter in the dash. I know exactly how much battery I have.
Are the SOC meters adjustable? It seems like everyone has different readings from their units.
I may be wrong on this, but isn't the SOC just a voltmeter?
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
AzPete
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have seen no adjustment nor have I read of them being adjustable.

The SOC meter on mine, compared to the digital volt meter I have too, does not tell me crap. A volt meter registers volts now, in tenths of a volt....the SOC seems to give a level on the bar graph and it takes a 8% drop in voltage to move the bar to the next bar lower.

Normal operating area for the batteries is 36.5 or so as dead to 38.7 as fully charged.... To me, waiting for an 8% change in that short range is not accurate enough.

The negative of the digital volt meter is until one is used to it, the drop in voltage when you hit the pedal can make one think the voltage is low. After you get used to it reading an accurate voltage instantly, it is neat to watch.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstreak View Post
Thanks everyone.
I was just curious what that high red area means (whether its accurate or not). Would an "overcharge" just mean you're charging beyond what the batteries hold?......and if so, shouldn't the charger automatically stop? (if you have that kind of charger).
I'm guessing here but I think you are referring to the analog SOC meter which is just a voltmeter and works exactly the same as the Datel digital voltmeter like the one from CU.
The designations on the analog meter are just color coded and when it goes to the upper red zone while charging it is in the equalization stage of the charging cycle which is about 46v for a 36v cart and 62v for a 48v cart.
This is all considered normal operation.
As Gornoman suggested you can use a digital meter to establish the actual voltages at any point on the gauge.

Is this what your meter looks like?

dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #10
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes Doug, that's the one I have. Whenever I see the pointer in a red zone...it usually means "Uh-oh!". :)
So if its normal to be up in the red while charging, I won't worry about it. I definitely see a digital volt meter in my future though. This gauge is fairly useless.
Thanks everyone.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO