lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
tsward28
Not Yet Wild

Default I need help deciding on fixing or upgrading cart.

I just received a free cart from a family member who let three unqualified people try and fix her cart. The cart is an early 2000's PDS cart. I now one of them hooked up wires backwords and probably cooked the controller. There are also signs that someone tried to wire directly to the motor. I am new to carts but understand that these do gooders have probably done more damage to the cart thn good. On top of that, the cart has sat for the last two years and I'm guessing the batteries will be weak if not bad. I am taking it to a qualified person to have the damage assessed this weekend.

My question is, at what point should I stop spending money to have these items replaced/fixed and just convert to a 48 volt system? When converting? will I be replacing all of these past anyway?

Any wisdome will be appreciated.

Thanks,
tsward28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

Default Re: I need help deciding on fixing or upgrading cart.

Can you post pictures? If the body/frame is in good shape it would cost less to do a 48 volt conversion and be haulin @$$ then to buy a boggo off-lease cart. To do a conversion you need 48 volt battery pack and charger (dealer) New cables, solenoid, and controller (scotty b, cartsunlimited.net) and a new motor (plum quick, plumquick.com)
Legendary Golf Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

Oh, from what it sounds you will need to replace everything anyway, so there is no point in not doing a 48 volt conversion, it barely cost anymore and makes a huge difference.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just to make sure its a PDS the shift switch is on the Dash Right?

I would start clean, pull the motor and send it in to PlumQuick. They say on their site, 250 to rebuild one and the price goes up with the mods like cooling fins and fans.

400, or better 500 amp DCX Alltrax controller 48 volt sol, resistor, and diode. A good 4 Guage or better 2 Gauge cable set and of course the new batteries. Do the under seat mod and stuff all 8 batteries there. Get a 48 volt to 12 inverter for the accessories like lights and radio. You will be ready to pull wheelies and crawl with the best of them on 22" tires. Dont forget to upgrade the brakes to stop the beast. Your investment in upgrades would be around what most would pay for a off lease cart.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
tsward28
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys. It was worse than I thought. It is missing the controller and batteries. It is basically a frame with tires. Most of the cables look to be there; however, I cannot be sure of the other wiring. I do not think it's worth taking in for repairs. The frame that holds the batteries is rusted, but it looks like I can bolt in a replacement. I am very literate when it comes to reading instructions, and very mechanical in that I have worked as a mechanic while attending college. I would love to tackle this with my soon to be 13 year old son. Is this something a new person has no business doing? Or with little assistance from knowledgeable people, can this be done by a do it yourself person?
Old 11-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I hate to say it but ....... I'm an enabler

A person with some past success with their hands can tackle a restoration or rehabilitation project such as you describe. Post pics of the cart and the places where components are missing and we can start figuring out just what you need .....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

If the body is in good shape go for it! it is normal to have rust in the battery frame, any cart will have some. It doesn't matter if the batteries and controller are missing, it give you an excuse for a 48 volt conversion! Upgrading is simple. As long as you wire the controller correctly you'll be fine. You can do everything yourself, it will give you a project and be one sweet cart when its done.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Oh yes. Look t the beginning of my build thread. It's very vey possible!
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #9
tsward28
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I hate to say it but ....... I'm an enabler

A person with some past success with their hands can tackle a restoration or rehabilitation project such as you describe. Post pics of the cart and the places where components are missing and we can start figuring out just what you need .....
I included a couple of pictures. Send me a number and a good time to call you and we can talk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1321734338304.jpg (14.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 1321734211733.jpg (24.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 1321734247067.jpg (22.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 1321734259215.jpg (26.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 1321734331147.jpg (20.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 11-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
tsward28
Not Yet Wild

More Pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1321734370607.jpg (18.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 1321734459679.jpg (25.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20111119_152748.jpg (90.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 1321734197275.jpg (14.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 1321734323166.jpg (11.5 KB, 8 views)

Tags
48 volts, converting
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO