lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
sbarnes
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default battery pack voltage drop

I'm lost on this one. battery pack was reading 53.2 fully charged and after driving all day would only drop to around 48 to 47. While doing some maintenance checked battery levels and added some water to each battery. Charged the pack, now only reads 50.4 and when you drive the cart it drops to 47.6. Any ideas what could have happened?
sbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: battery pack voltage drop

Did you take those 2 different measurements at the exact same time?(allowed time of rest after charger shut off)

Like if you checked the batteries right after charge and the measured 53v then 12 hours later yes they will be lower.
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Not sure if it's significant, but the proper order for watering batteries is to charge first, then add water. Before charging, make sure that all plates are at least, just covered. How much water did you have to add ??? - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
sbarnes
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

all plates were covered. didn't have to add much. yes the 53 volts was measured after setting a few hrs. I am load testing each battery today. These are Napa batteries they wanted me to try, if I have lost one cell already will be pulling them and replacing with some Deka's
sbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

How old is your battery pack and what does it consist of, 4 x 12V, 6 x 8V or 8 x 6V?

53.2V is off the top of the State of Charge charts, so I suspect they hadn't rested long enough to deplete the surface charge.
On the other hand, 47V-48V tells me they are being discharged down into the 30%-40% SoC range, so they are being used hard and won't last long.

Adding water will lower voltage slightly, but after a recharge or two, it'll be back to normal, unless the water was low because some electrolyte had been spilled.
(Water loss due to normal gassing doesn't lose sulfate ions, spilling electrolyte does)

What are the individual battery voltages after a full charge and 6 hours rest? (12 to 24 hours preferred for more accurate readings)

Oops, saw that you were load testing them. And that you were field testing them for NAPA.
Let us know what you find out.

Last edited by JohnnieB; 01-12-2012 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: added comments
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO