lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
Poindexter
Not Yet Wild

Default Slow 06 Precedent

I have a 48v 2006 Club Car Precedent that is having some speed issues. When I first got the cart I took it for a test drive and it would cruise at 14 mph. Recently I was driving it and noticed that it cruises at about 4 mph full throttle. Sometimes when I take off from a stop it appears to accelerate quickly and then govern down to maintain 4mph. Do not know if this could be a factor, but my wife drove it through some taller grass and the undercarriage has a hole in it right in front of the brake/throttle assembly. After charge, pack measured 49.79v. I'll be glad to serve up any other information you need if I need to answer anything else.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Default Re: Slow 06 Precedent

49.79V is only about 75% charge at best. There is a speed sensor on the back of the motor. It will cause to cart to do just what you are describing. Maybe the sensor wires are disconnected or maybe the sensor is bad.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

it may be a bad speed sensor that is throwing the cart into limp mode......??? possible................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
Poindexter
Not Yet Wild

How do I test the speed sensor? Is this something I can test on my own or do I need to take my cart to a shop to have it plugged in?
Old 05-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

no you can do it yourself......i beleive you just put it in gear turn key on and then get off and push it.......if it trys to like hold back its good but if cart rolls freely sensor is bad..............if i,m wrong on the directions someone will let you know........................................
Old 05-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
no you can do it yourself......i beleive you just put it in gear turn key on and then get off and push it.......if it trys to like hold back its good but if cart rolls freely sensor is bad..............if i,m wrong on the directions someone will let you know........................................
The roll test will tell if it is a speed sensor problem. I'm wondering if the wires didn't get yanked loose since the wife drove it through some tall grass then the problem started.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
Poindexter
Not Yet Wild

Well it didn't pass the roll test. I ordered the hall effect sensor and if that fixes the issue I'll replace the bad one within the sensor. When I bench tested it never went to 0 although it did alternate back and forth from 8 to 9 while I turned the wheel. We will see.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
Poindexter
Not Yet Wild

Well it was indeed the speed sensor. I ordered the part from the place I found in a different thread on this forum, and got it fixed. Now I'm out of limp mode!!

Here is a pic of the speed sensor after I used a dremel to grind out all of the old epoxy and hall effects sensor.

http://imgur.com/harzd.jpg

Here is a pic of the hall effect sensor soldered up and ready to be epoxied into place.

http://imgur.com/vAm79.jpg

Finally here is a pic of the sensor with the epoxy all cured up and ready to put back onto the cart.

http://imgur.com/Gm0XJ.jpg

Thanks for the answers here and all the support. It feels pretty good to save a lot of money on a repair like this. Speed sensor service package = $125 DIY speed sensor repair = $2.00 This site saved me over $120!!!
Old 06-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
Well it was indeed the speed sensor. I ordered the part from the place I found in a different thread on this forum, and got it fixed. Now I'm out of limp mode!!

Here is a pic of the speed sensor after I used a dremel to grind out all of the old epoxy and hall effects sensor.

http://imgur.com/harzd.jpg

Here is a pic of the hall effect sensor soldered up and ready to be epoxied into place.

http://imgur.com/vAm79.jpg

Finally here is a pic of the sensor with the epoxy all cured up and ready to put back onto the cart.

http://imgur.com/Gm0XJ.jpg

Thanks for the answers here and all the support. It feels pretty good to save a lot of money on a repair like this. Speed sensor service package = $125 DIY speed sensor repair = $2.00 This site saved me over $120!!!

.........thats what we like to hear...........................
Old 06-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
lowvolts
Not Yet Wild

Good Job I researched the hall effect sensor on this site and got the data sheet,
It looks like you installed it backwards tapered side to magnet maybe it won't matter.
lowvolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car