lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
TROPHYMAN
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default 96 CC DS Fuse Link Smoking--HELP

I have a 96 CC DS 36V converted to 48V. I inherited the car about a year ago and until today it ran great. After running for a few minuets it started to slow down. I checked the battery pack and the Pos cable on #1 bat was loose. After I tightened it up I noticed that there was a little smoke coming from the fuse link attached to the solenoid. It actually got pretty hot by the time I got the cable disconnected.

Cleaned everything up and reconnected, same thing. The little fuse link on the solenoid, connected between large posts, is still heating up and smoking. Anybody tell me what’s going on? Battery pack = 6 Trojan T875 3+ years old, reads 52.6 across pack.

Thanks
Pat
TROPHYMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
tlr6334
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 96 CC DS Fuse Link Smoking--HELP

Which solenoid do you have? A 36 or 48 volt?
Tommy
tlr6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

thats a diode i beleive heating up.....is the solenoid itself getting hot?............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
TROPHYMAN
Gone Wild

Yamaha

No idea on 36/48V solenoid. How would I know??

SHADOWMAN:

After checking with my VOM, I think it is a diode. The solenoid, itself, is not getting hot. I've put everything back together and it runs, no smoking, but the solenoid is clicking (fwd & rev) and sometimes the cart just stops. Moved selector to reverse and it moved, then back to fwd and it's moving again. Solenoid still clicks but it seems to do it only when I first start out.>>>>>>>>>>>>>Time for a new solenoid?????????????
Old 07-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROPHYMAN View Post
No idea on 36/48V solenoid. How would I know??

SHADOWMAN:

After checking with my VOM, I think it is a diode. The solenoid, itself, is not getting hot. I've put everything back together and it runs, no smoking, but the solenoid is clicking (fwd & rev) and sometimes the cart just stops. Moved selector to reverse and it moved, then back to fwd and it's moving again. Solenoid still clicks but it seems to do it only when I first start out.>>>>>>>>>>>>>Time for a new solenoid?????????????
i don,t think it would hurt to put a new solenoid in, they go bad in so many ways you just never know.....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
TROPHYMAN
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
i don,t think it would hurt to put a new solenoid in, they go bad in so many ways you just never know.....................................
Any idea how I tell if it's 36 or 48 volt solenoid? From the pictures online mine looks like it's probably a 48 volt.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #7
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

If it's connected between the large posts on the solenoid, it's a resistor. Mine reads about 130 ohms using a Fluke Multimeter.

Check that resistance. Remove it from the lugs to test. If it's way low, it may have failed, and is shorting internally; thus the heat.

I have another theory on why these get hot. The purpose of the resistor is to pre-charge the solenoid terminals, to prevent arcing when you step on the go pedal. However, if the contacts in the solenoid are becoming compromised due to corrosion, arcing, etc; no power flows thru the solenoid, and then the cart is attempting to run using power drawn thru that resistor.

Obviously, this isn't going to work, and the resistor is going to heat up, and the cart isn't going to go anywhere.

That's what happened to mine, the solenoid was intermittently not working, and the resistor got really hot. A new solenoid and resistor fixed the issue.
delagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
TROPHYMAN
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Mine measures 123 with the Fluke. Getting ready to order new solenoid and resistor. Anybody know the purpose of the resistor?
Old 07-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Quote:
Mine measures 123 with the Fluke. Getting ready to order new solenoid and resistor. Anybody know the purpose of the resistor?
Someone posted this in another thread:

Pre-Charge Resistor is a device that slowly charges the capacitors inside a electronic speed controller before it is powered up. Without this resistor, closing the contactor would generate a large amount of inrush current causing the contacts to arc. This arcing can permanently weld the contacts in the "on" position. The inrush current from not pre-charging can also cause the contact tips to get pitted resulting in a poor connection and diminish vehicle performance.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:25 AM   #10
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Anybody know the purpose of the resistor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delagem View Post
The purpose of the resistor is to pre-charge the solenoid terminals, to prevent arcing when you step on the go pedal.
delagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car