lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
2manytoyz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default New 2009 RXV owner

Just got a previously owned 2009 RXV. Apparently started life as a fleet vehicle, then owned by a retired lady (probably from Pasadena , LOL!).

It's in very good shape. Had a dump bed added to it. The dealer already tweaked the programming for higher speed. I'm going to talk to him about increasing the torque as well. Goes fast, but is a granny off the line.

About the only issue I've found is there's a vibration while cruising. Initially, I thought it was from an out of round tire (taken a set), but both back wheels spin relatively smoothly with the back axle of the cart on a jack. I've also noticed a noise from the right rear corner when cruising. Now I'm thinking I might have an outer bearing going out.

The dealer included a 90 day warranty, so I'll be seeing him about it. I would have posted a video or pics here, but I can't post any links because I've been here less than a week (anti-SPAM rule I guess).

I plan on using it to do work around our property, and to take it camping.

Lots of good info on this forum. Plan on lurking a bit to get up to speed.
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
Strawhead
Future World Dictator

Columbia

Default Re: New 2009 RXV owner

Welcome 2 !!!!
Strawhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Welcome 2manytoyz

Sorry to say but the RXVs are setup so they just have no torque off the line. I have hit mine with every option I can wil my dealer's programmer and nada. I have heard of someone lurking on the forum that is working on an update for those controllers and I am waiting....

As for your noises, pull the rear wheels off and make sure your wheel hub nuts are tight. As the RXV carts use the motor for braking, those hubs get abused.. If they are tight, pull the one you think is having issues off and check for wear. If it looks fairly good, put a little axle grease on the spline and put it back together at I think 140ft lbs. If the noise goes away, replace the hub.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
2manytoyz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Welcome 2manytoyz

Sorry to say but the RXVs are setup so they just have no torque off the line. I have hit mine with every option I can wil my dealer's programmer and nada. I have heard of someone lurking on the forum that is working on an update for those controllers and I am waiting....

Have you seen this post? Two people say there is a programming adjustment, and it worked for them: buggiesgonewild.com/electric-ezgo/52358-more-torque-ezgo-electric-fleet-rxv.html
Old 09-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
2manytoyz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Got the tech from the dealer stopping by in a little while. They are going to replace a wheel/tire, take a listen to the noise (possible bearing issue), and reprogram it for more torque. I'll measure the speed after the programming to see if it affects the top end. Not sure why it would since this is a programming change, not a gear or tire size change. When I get the results, I'll post in the technical part of the forum... stay tuned!
Old 09-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
sms-shop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Welcome
sms-shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manytoyz View Post
Have you seen this post? Two people say there is a programming adjustment, and it worked for them: buggiesgonewild.com/electric-ezgo/52358-more-torque-ezgo-electric-fleet-rxv.html
Yes I did and mine is set to High. Just wondering what high speed they set it to.. The programmer I used had a limit of like 19.5. The one for the 2Five will let you set it to like 25.. and may act differently with low end torque.. Ah maybe one day
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
2manytoyz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Okay, had the service tech show up today. He said all the used carts they sell are set for max speed. In this case, 19.9 MPH with one person. I verified this with my GPS, and would post a pic if I wasn't still on the newbie list. With two of us in it today, maxed at 19.5 MPH.

Also called and talked with EZGO. The rep. there said the programmer the dealers have is very limited in what settings it can change. He said they can increase the speed slightly to 19.9 (done already), but almost no adjustment in torque. The local tech knew of the speed mod, but knew nothing of a torque adjustment.

Obviously the golf courses don't want their greens ripped up, but that doesn't apply to the private owner driving on private land. The EZGO rep said the limiting factor is the controller. In this case, it's a 235 Amp unit. Very costly to replace these, so the company purposely limits the startup torque. He did say there should never be any issues climbing hills or ramps. Granted, not talking about off-roading with it.

The local dealer says he weighs 300 lbs, and has no problem driving these up 8' ramps into pickup trucks. Well, I'm 100 lbs less, so I guess that eliminates one of my concerns. The owners manual also says it weighs close to 1000 lbs with batteries, and can tow up to 3 additional carts (@ 5 MPH IIRC). Yup, that oughta do it.

The horses mouth says can't adjust the torque significantly, take that for what it's worth. Guess it's probably true, or someone would have done it, and talked specifics by now. I certainly don't want to fry my controller, and while it's a little slow off the line, it goes plenty fast soon enough. More speed than any stock ones I've previously rented or driven.

The tech did agree I have an egg shaped tire, and he DID hear the grinding noise in the left rear wheel after a drive around the neighborhood (I rode shotgun). He was concerned enough that he put the cart on his trailer and took it back to the shop. I'm thinking outer bearing. Honestly sounds like a brake shoe dragging, but I know this doesn't have mechanical brakes.

Should get it back in two days...
Old 09-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
Hamnut
Not Yet Wild

Hi
I also bought a 2009 RXV about a month ago. Great little machine. I bought it sight unseen so I was pleasantly surprised it had a 3 phase induction motor in it. I have been looking around for service information but there doesn’t seem to be a lot out there yet. Any bits of info you get for the service people would be greatly appreciated to me and the forum. I am quite happy with the start torque and speed of the unit. I guess if I did want to faster there is always the option of bigger diameter tires. Have fun.
Hamnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #10
2manytoyz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

The service manual (P/N 611103) just arrived from Amazon. Haven't picked through it yet.

Spent a lot of time reading about this model the past week. Biggest issues appear to be bad solenoids, and bad parking brakes. Mostly plagued the 2008 models. The battery complaints appear to be more of a fleet issue. They don't have the time to pull the fill caps to verify a proper fill on each cell, cleaning & neutralizing spray the outside of the batteries, and using corrosion spray on the terminals. Missing any of those steps will likely result in a dead battery (due to dry cell, or lack of charge due to a bad cable).

The folks on the Villages forum had some of the same complaints, but when the bugs were worked out, appeared to be fairly reliable. Those guys are driving 30-50 miles per day! One person reported having over 10K miles on his!

Keep up with the PM, think it'll be a good cart.

I'm happy with the speed. I was concerned about the torque leaving me stuck on a ramp or steep hill. Wasn't sure how the torque curve was setup. It could have been set to only apply 10% power until reaching 'x' MPH, then increase. Or it could be a timed event. Apply 10% power for 2 seconds, then apply more. If it's the latter, then I can live with that.

I will add a hidden kill switch since all the EZGO keys appear to be identical. I will also add a 12V muffin fan to the controller to keep it cool. Dealer said don't drive these slow or it could overheat. He suggested driving wide open most of the time. I'd rather be safe and have a fan, and not worry about the speed. So I'll be adding a DC-DC converter as well.

Looks very well built. I would be concerned if they had a history of failing controllers or motors (both expensive). I can bypass the solenoid out in the field if necessary, and know how to either bypass the parking brake with the mechanical lever, or completely remove it (YouTube video on that) if necessary. I have no problems looking after the golf cart batteries in my alt-power solar setup at my home, so a few more is no big deal.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO