lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
cptaylor
Not Yet Wild

Default Rear brake drum will NOT budge

96 TXT EZGO.

Brakes are pretty much non existent. Decided to check brake shoes. Drivers side drum came off with little effort. Shoes are worn pretty good. Unable to remove the passenger side drum to change the shoes.

I am ASSUMING that the passenger drum comes off the same way as the drivers side drum, aka, you remove the tire, remove the center nut holding the drum on, and it slides off the "spindle".

I have tried various chemical sprays such as WD40, PB Blaster, Kroil (My favorite). I have tried tapping it with a rubber hammer in every spot. I have tried a solid hammer. I have tried a puller..... nothing. I even decided to heck with it and I would just replace the entire brake assembly.

It will not budge, even the slightest. Was thinking about heating it with a torch but.....I feel it should not be this difficult....

Any suggestions?
cptaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rear brake drum will NOT budge

its possible that the drum is wore to the point that is has a groove from the shoes in it, and the shoes are adjusted into it, thus locking the drum on...... so find the hole in the face of the drum and using a screw driver, adjust out the star nut out so there is more room. if this is the case, you should be able to remove the drum after you have adjusted them in enough.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
its possible that the drum is wore to the point that is has a groove from the shoes in it, and the shoes are adjusted into it, thus locking the drum on...... so find the hole in the face of the drum and using a screw driver, adjust out the star nut out so there is more room. if this is the case, you should be able to remove the drum after you have adjusted them in enough.
adjust it in to release pressure
Old 08-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
cptaylor
Not Yet Wild

ok, I'm missing something here.
The Star wheel is designed such that it adjust to move the brake shoes out. I cannot get it to go the other way due to it's "shape". Not at all like the picture above. Just like in the troubleshooting manual though....

Is there some type of rear access that makes it easier? Going from the front in the hole of the drum, I can only move it one way.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
cptaylor
Not Yet Wild

So... no one knows how to get the star wheel to turn the other way with the brake drum on?
Old 08-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Good to see everybody was paying attention this morning.

Class is back in session.

To back off an auto adjuster, assuming you have auto adjusters, use 2 flat blade screwdrivers (one medium and other small size) and a headlamp.
Use the small screw driver to lift and hold the adjuster arm off of the adjustment star, use the med driver to roll the star backwards.... use the headlamp and gentle curse words to see what you're doing. Do not move the arm any more than absolutely necessary to turn the wheel!

If you back the adjuster off all the way and the drum is still stuck try a soft mallet and flat pry bar. Stick the prybar in the bottom between the back plate and drum.
Apply outward pressure on the drum, tap it with the mallet. This will bounce the shoe and may allow you to get over the ridge in the drum.

If that fails use a drum puller - it bolts to the drum and pushes on the axle as you tighten it = pops off the drum

Sometimes it takes a little of all of the above to get er done ...Golf Cart techs don't get paid enough to work this stuff.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
cptaylor
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. You forgot Diazepam in your list of requirements....

Been at this all morning and into the afternoon and got a total of one side completed. I've got a completely new drum and brake assembly. I figured this would be a breeze.
I messed up when I tried the adjustment method mentioned prior, I turned the screw the wrong way and now.....the brakes are tight and the drum won't spin. Before it would. So I went backwards. Think I'm gonna walk away for awhile, cool off, retry later or get someone more mechanically inclined to give it a shot.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
cptaylor
Not Yet Wild

One last question before I give up or forget.

Is there an easier way to remove the entire assembly? I see there are four bolts that hold the brake shoe/spring assembly together. I removed those on the drivers side in order to replace the whole thing.

Would this work?
Old 08-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Trust me .... the method I spent 5 minutes typing out for you will work. Give it a try

And if all else fails, a seasoned mechanic is the best tool for the job .
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
crash test dummy

i know this will sound dumb ...but ... check and see if someone put drum retaining clips on

if all else fails ...BIGGER HAMMER
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO