lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2014, 06:43 AM   #1
jlensi
Not Yet Wild

Default Lots of questions ....

I pick up my first cart this week. Its a 2010 Club Car Precedent, 6 - 8v batteries. I plan on using it mostly for cruising around the campgrounds and when it's home I'll use it for 'light' hauling and 'mild' off road use.

I've been doing 'a lot' of reading on here and its been a great help, but I still have tons of questions.

One of the first things I want to do is put a 6" lift on it and bigger tires. Add rear springs. Add a controller for more torque. Add a radio and lights.

My question is what kind of lift? Spindle, A-Arm, etc ... What is the difference between the different lifts? Is there one that is 'better' then the other? Different applications? How do I know what size tires/wheels I should put on it? I don't want to order tires/wheels only to find out I don't like how they look on the finished cart.

Being I'm going to have two people in the back, I'm sure I also want to upgrade the rear springs? Which should I upgrade to, medium or heavy? Mostly my two kids will be on the back.

From what I've read, I think I want a 500a controller for added torque and more power. What else do I need to do to make this happen? I think battery cables and solenoid. Is one better then the other or is it preference?

A radio and lights are a must. What do I need to get them powered up. Voltage reducer? Add a 12v battery?

I know alot of guys get their cart and 'add' a little at a time. I've been saving for this for a while, so when I pick it up I plan on doing a lot to it right away. What would you guys do to it if you were building it?

Thanks for all you help, I'm excited about it and can't wait to start!
jlensi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2014, 07:43 AM   #2
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Default Re: Lots of questions ....

My question is what kind of lift? Spindle, A-Arm, etc ... What is the difference between the different lifts? Is there one that is 'better' then the other? Different applications? How do I know what size tires/wheels I should put on it? I don't want to order tires/wheels only to find out I don't like how they look on the finished cart. a spindle lift is just that, replacement spindles. An a-arm lift gives you all new front suspension. Some even come with new hd springs for the rear

Being I'm going to have two people in the back, I'm sure I also want to upgrade the rear springs? Which should I upgrade to, medium or heavy? Mostly my two kids will be on the back.

From what I've read, I think I want a 500a controller for added torque and more power. What else do I need to do to make this happen? I think battery cables and solenoid. Is one better then the other or is it preference? yes upgrade the cables too. www.cartsunlimited.net

A radio and lights are a must. What do I need to get them powered up. Voltage reducer? Add a 12v battery?some people use an extra battery. I use a reducer on everything I do. The reducer can be had at cartsunlimited.net too. You can order everything at once. Do not order a cheaply pos reducer from ebay

What is the serial number of the cart? If it is an Excel system the first thing I would do is convert it to IQ. Then you can use any IQ aftermarket controller you want
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:12 PM   #3
gary wiant
Gone Wild

Club Car

Don't skimp on anything. The only change I would have made to my cart is I would have put an a - arm lift but I had the spindle lift put on before I knew anything
I did 700 amp
Plum Quick grizzly 2
2/0 cables
Heavy Duty FOR
Heavy Duty solenoid
IQ to series conversion
Ausco mechanical disk brakes with harsh environment pads and rotors
Couldn't be happier
Flip seat
Black seat covers
Camo Wrap I printed an my sign shop
1/2 height windshield

I did 90% of the rebuild all at one time.

If you search my name you should be able to Se my build

Good luck and enjoy

sent from my Samsung Note 2 using Tapatalk
gary wiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #4
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you want the smoothest ride for off roads , you can beat a long travel front end lift , that's what I would do
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #5
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

I did the 6" lift a-arm and the rear springs were part of the deal - heavy duty. It does ride rough but heck it's a cart for play. I'm a believer in the reducer 30amp for accessories. I upgraded to 500 amp controller and torque motor and get 23mph per speedo app. It's fast enough with my kids driving it. I thought about gear change just can't commit yet. Also just spend the duckies for hd everything solenoid, fr, cables. I would like to upgrade to disc brakes for better stopping. If you can commit to doing it all at once take the plunge, tear it down and build up. One last thing I wired two carts free style for lighting and on my ds I bought a complete kit with spare fuse slots and wow what a breeze. I'm no where near the experts on here but I learned a lot from others so read as much as you can on this site. And finally I used the site sponsors. Cheers! E
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:34 AM   #6
Northcap
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I second adding a quality voltage reducer for accessories. It is an easy install.

I had a spindle lift on my 04 DS. I prefer the A arm lifts as they essentially rebuild the front suspension. My only beef with a long travel lift is I understand you can't use an aftermarket light kit. I didn't want a light bar for headlights. If I am wrong I would consider a long travel lift.

Buy a quality lift verses saving a few bucks. You will know what you are getting, and tech support will be there for any questions you may have on the install.
Northcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #7
gumpbuck
Gone Wild

Club Car

I second and third the comments about the reducer! I also added a fuse block for the output from reducer. That way I can and or remove accesories more easily. Lastly, wire the reducer to your ignition or an on/off switch. That way the reducer isn't pulling any juice from the batts when it's not in use. If you look at my album, you'll see a pic of the fuse block.
gumpbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpbuck View Post
I second and third the comments about the reducer! I also added a fuse block for the output from reducer. That way I can and or remove accesories more easily. Lastly, wire the reducer to your ignition or an on/off switch. That way the reducer isn't pulling any juice from the batts when it's not in use.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car