lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
hawgsalot
Getting Wild

Default Alltrax 400 amp need more torque....bad

Ok local cart shop installed a new motor not sure of what kind right now, I installed new Alltrax 400 from scotty.

Speed is fine on flat ground and down hill it's really fast. I've got 10" rims and tires but this cart is walking up long hills. So how do I gain torque, it's the last piece of the puzzle.

I've got the original cables and F&R switch, so do I splurge with scotty and upgrade to 4 gauge cable kit and HD F&R switch? How much % wise in torque should I gain. If not much what's next?
hawgsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2014, 10:22 PM   #2
hawgsalot
Getting Wild

Default Re: Alltrax 400 amp need more torque....bad

Oh one more note this was a club car refurbished cart. It's a 2007 precedent and it appears to have 4 gauge cables on everything except the actual battery cables. They are certainly smaller than the cables on the controller etc.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:30 AM   #3
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Post a picture of the motor. You should have good torque with a motor and controller upgrade.

What size tires are they? Is it lifted?

There is no HD rocker switch because full voltage doesn't pass through like the series f/r switches. All high voltage cables should be upgraded to 4ga min
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:40 AM   #4
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

If your going to upgrade cables go 2g, you will appreciate that under a load such going up a hill. Wire is like plumbing, you have stock cables, probably 6 gauge. In relation to a water hose that is connected to a 1" valve and the hose being 1/2" Your not going to allow all of the potential water flow through that restricted hose. I just upgraded my cart, completely stock, put 2 gauge wires, no increase at all until i put it under a load, climbing a hill, then I noticed it jump up so much better than with the stock 6 gauge wires. My point being, your only as good as the weakest link, complete your upgrade, talk to scotty again I'm sure he knows what you need. Did you also upgrade the solenoid, that is also part of the equation?

Edit, saw your second post, you may have larger wires, so If what you'r saying is just the battery cables then at least complete the upgrade on those.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:05 AM   #5
caokgafamily
Gone Wild

Club Car

Scooterman
caokgafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:01 AM   #6
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

2ga is overkill for 400A IMO. If you have the funds and maybe plan on upgrading to larger in the future then grab the 2ga. If not the 4ga should be fine
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunoco View Post
2ga is overkill for 400A IMO. If you have the funds and maybe plan on upgrading to larger in the future then grab the 2ga. If not the 4ga should be fine
Well he said he has 4g on the rest of the equipment, so I agree I'd finish off with 4g. That said, 2g is rated around 180 amps max continuous. Under a full load the heavier wires on a complete replacement would be beneficial and not cost that much more, so from a cost to performance point of view I'd spend a little more to get more when you need it the most. You have to realize that even with a 400 or 500 amp controller most of the time your not using nearly that much power, so you don't need more cables under those conditions but when you put the motor under heavy loads it draws more rapidly.

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
Old 03-20-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
hawgsalot
Getting Wild

Hey guys thanks for the info a couple more items or followup.
The cart isn't lifted, the tires are 20.5 x 8 x 10. Upgraded the solenoid as well thru scotty.

As far as the motor it was replaced with the standard Club car motor for the club car precedent, again speed is fine torque not so fine so if I could get more torque out of that motor great, if not I'm going to replace the motor again. They put the motor on last year without a phone call so I would have upgraded it then.. UGGGRRR!

My actual battery connecting wire is all 6 gauge but the cables going to the controller, thru solenoid and to the motor are all 4 gauge. Also one other quick note the wire going to the positive and negative side of the 48 volt is 4 gauge as well so we're only really talking about 6 gauge wires connecting the batteries to each other. Is this going to make a difference? Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #9
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes upgrade these cables and you'll notice the difference when you put it under load. It shouldn't be that expensive to update only part of your wires being the rest was already 4g.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
the wire going to the positive and negative side of the 48 volt is 4 gauge as well
Make sure they wired it correctly and the 4ga is the only cable on the negative post and it goes thru the OBC or you may not be charging the batteries properly. That would certainly show the symptoms you described. Do you have a digital voltmeter on the cart to see what the voltage drops to when going up the hill?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car