lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #1
del50man
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Separate Battery used for headlights

I bought a separate 12v battery to run my neon lights. I hooked a trickle charger to the battery, but also want to run a radio and my headlights to it. I noticed the headlights are very dim, but I bought these headlights at walmart, so I am not sure on the draw that it has on the battery.
Can anyone help me??
del50man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Separate Battery used for headlights

what kind and size battery did you buy
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
del50man
Gone Wild

Club Car

I bought the EverStart deep cycle 625 CA 12 volt battery from walmart. The part number is 24MS.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:54 PM   #4
mazdawg(Mikey)
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

id recommend mounting a voltmeter that will show you what volts the 12v battery is running
mazdawg(Mikey) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:55 PM   #5
del50man
Gone Wild

Club Car

Please explain about mounting a volt meter? I know somewhat about 12v, but need simple plain English on this? lol. It's gotta be easier that what I am making it.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:17 PM   #6
mazdawg(Mikey)
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

you buy a voltmeter and mount it in the dash of the cart. you run a positive and a negative directly from the 12v battery to the meter
mazdawg(Mikey) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:42 AM   #7
del50man
Gone Wild

Club Car

Oh, I understand that, but that's not helping why my headlights are so dim. Do I have to run a ground from the separate battery to ground on the frame? The headlights are really dim when the battery is fully charged.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:56 AM   #8
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would not use the cart chassis as ground. Run both ground an positive cables. Also try hooking up the lights direct to the battery, eliminating all switches etc. as a test. If your lights are bright, you have some kind of wiring problem. If they still are dim it is either the lights or battery. One more thing, poorly installed connections can cause all kinds of wiring problems. Make sure the size wire you are using is appropriate for the lights.

Just a few thoughts, good luck.
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:04 AM   #9
meadowlark
Not Yet Wild

I guess I'll start by asking a dumb question...

Were you using a 36V/48V to 12V reducer before you bought the separate battery? If not, the light bulbs could be rated for 36/48V and that would be your problem.

You shouldn't need or want a ground to the frame if you hooked up the new battery to your lights correctly.
meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:18 AM   #10
del50man
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thank you for the responses. I was using a reducer before I bought the extra battery. My plan is to use the battery to run just the lights and neon lights, so when I charge my cart, I plug in my charger for the cart and the trickle charger for the 12v battery.
I have not tried to just take the lights off and run them wires directly to the battery. There may be a problem now that I think of it, because i tested the lights directly from the switch and it's running through a reducer.
The headlights I bought were from Walmart and go on vehicles as well. I would of assumed the battery would be ok to run the lights.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car