lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
bananahamx
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Our new cart! Fun but slow.

Hi all, just joined up. I just picked up a 1999 DS for a bargain! I'm super excited to get to learn a little bit about engines and modifying these little guys. I've been looking at all the pictures and guides etc but I'm stumped as to what exacly it is I'm supposed to adjust to get a higher top speed. It goes ~11 mph right now and that is a bit slow for neighborhood tours. I'm also not all that ept when it comes to engines. I've looked at many different posts for this cart and others and the thing I'm running into is that based on the few pictures I've been able to find - I'm not finding the place where I'm supposed to put the zip ties. I bought the service manual and everything but that thing is WAY over my head.

I removed the Governor guard and was expecting to see all the springs etc.. but i only see the covered piece. The cable seems very loose and it definitely takes more than an inch before the starter kicks in too. I saw that troubleshooting detail in another post.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm very visual so if you want to PM or email pictures with circles back and forth I'm glad to do so.

I've got a dropbox link to pictures of my engine but I can't post them for 7 days. If there is a better way let me know and I'll get them up here.
Thanks a ton in advance!
bananahamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
bananahamx
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Our new cart! Fun but slow.

Maybe I can attach something just not link it.....

I also noticed some wires below the engine that are just kind of hanging there, I'm wondering if my new baby hasn't been modified before...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-07-02 09.19.12.jpg (206.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by bananahamx; 07-02-2014 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: Adding some more info
Old 07-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

This thread was given to me when I asked about adjusting the governor on our family's 2005 DS.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...ons-dumby.html
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:31 PM   #4
bananahamx
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I saw that one and I even took my laptop out trying to orient the picture to my real life one but I cannot find that spring for the life of me. Just from looking around, I think the engine /governor might be different on the 98/99's. That or maybe I need to remove something else to get access to that spring?

I posted a picture in the reply above do you see where I should see that?
Old 07-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #5
bananahamx
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I found it! It's not beneath the seat where I was looking, I had to take off the piece below the basket (where the backseat is going to be soon). So, final question is the zip ties in the link you showed me don't seem to attached to anything, just themselves. What am I really doing with those?
Old 07-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I think what the zip ties do is keep the spring from stretching too far out, allowing the throttle to override the governor arm when the spring reaches the point where it can't stretch beyond the zip ties and thus giving the throttle more leverage. Without the zip ties, the spring just stretches out and the governor kicks in and overrides it.

I have yet to adjust ours, but from the pictures I'm guessing that's what happens. Maybe Lockman can confirm.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #7
bananahamx
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

That makes a lot more sense, thank you for that explaniation. I tried it out and it was super easy and worked right away. I really feel like I need to get a tach so thats the next project. Well the next one after the one that was just forced on me. While driving it around tonight it decided it just wasn't going to start anymore... Stay tuned for the next thread!
Old 07-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
I think what the zip ties do is keep the spring from stretching too far out, allowing the throttle to override the governor arm when the spring reaches the point where it can't stretch beyond the zip ties and thus giving the throttle more leverage. Without the zip ties, the spring just stretches out and the governor kicks in and overrides it.

I have yet to adjust ours, but from the pictures I'm guessing that's what happens. Maybe Lockman can confirm.
That's absolutely correct!

Zip and spring at rest for low speed control:

Govenor Zip-Tie 001.jpg

Zip and stretched spring for higher speed, and yet, within the limits of the rev limiter, and the engines max rpm's!

Govenor Zip-Tie 003.jpg

lockman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car