lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
datwell
Not Yet Wild

Default G16 No Spark

Have a G16 that had the classic TCI problems. Replaced TCI with after market and worked for one day. No spark, but also, no voltage coming to the TCI from the Engine Stop Relay. Engine Stop Relay appears to be functioning, can feel it click when accelerator depressed. Also, when the accelerator is depressed, the engine turns over and tries to start, but no spark. I would expect voltage to the TCI for it to work? Can the Engine Stop Relay be removed or bypassed to verify it is not working correctly? Thanks for any and all help.
datwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 No Spark

The tci requires no external power, it makes its own. The engine stop relay grounds the coil out to ensure the spark is killed. Try unplugging the white plug at the front of the motor, just above the sub-frame mount, that will prevent the engine stop relay from grounding out the coil.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
datwell
Not Yet Wild

OK, that makes more sense, didn't understand how the circuit worked. Will try in the morning. I suspect the after market TCI is bad.
datwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:43 PM   #4
TestPoint
Not Yet Wild

I drove the cart home without issue and the next morning it would not start. Starter rotated the engine but no spark at the plug.

After searching and reading, especially this thread, it appears that the coil has failed. I really hate to fire the parts cannon without actually seeing a failed component. I replaced the original coil that clearly and repetitively failed due to heat, then 15 years old, with an OEM used one from a local cart repair shop about 5 years ago.

Took the connection loose between the engine stop relay and the coil and still no spark.

The fused ground and unexplained grounding of the coil to kill the engine was quite a learning experience.

Now the question: Have I clearly identified the defective part?

Replacement coils range in price from under $20 to over $100. My experience through many years of auto repair is that there is little difference in the parts either in country of origin now since most come from China anyway or quality. Even an OEM Yamaha part may come from the same source in China.

Any recommended known sources of high quality parts or reasons not to buy the $20 part?
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:15 PM   #5
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestPoint View Post
Replacement coils range in price from under $20 to over $100. My experience through many years of auto repair is that there is little difference in the parts either in country of origin now since most come from China anyway or quality. Even an OEM Yamaha part may come from the same source in China.

Any recommended known sources of high quality parts or reasons not to buy the $20 part?
You must know that on ANY production line, there is a % (+-) of rejected parts not corresponding to the specifications... Buying an original part prevents (or is supposed to) any trouble. All I know is that around me ALL people having ordered an aftermarket TCI were disappointed, 100% had to order a Yamaha one. I can also see it on this forum.

We can find an original under 80$... and some aftermarket units are not far!

There are parts we can perhaps go aftermarket but definitely not the TCI!!!
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:27 PM   #6
TestPoint
Not Yet Wild

Good response.

I think I will convert that opinion into an under $20 coil to confirm that my current problem is, indeed, a coil problem. Then decide if I need an OEM spare.

If I was taking the cart to a professional repair shop I would go with what they supplied under repair warranty.

Replacing a coil is not difficult and I work cheap.

Thanks for the response!
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha