lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2017, 05:02 PM   #1
robertk
Getting Wild

Default Faint glow on SOC meter even when off...

Since converting to 48v and changing the SOC meter to 48v, I notice that when I turn off the cart the SOC meter still has a very faint glow. Not on a certain indicator bar, but the entire thing -all bars/positions maintain a very dim glow. It is a standard Ezgo/Curtis 48v SOC meter.

It is wired straight from the battery through a circuit breaker and neg bus and the 3rd pin that turns on the display is coming from the key switch. It is a new EZGO uniquely keyed key switch, but I don't recall seeing that they were specific to 36 or 48v and worked fine at 36v.

When I disconnect the 3rd pin to the key switch it is no longer glows. Is this likely from some "bleeding" voltage coming through the key switch?

The reed switch has been bypassed and the ignition has been put first in the series of interlocks (before the F&R micro switch) so that I don't loose voltage to accessories when shifting past neutral. So there is voltage going direct to the ignition all the time - even when turned off or in neutral, but that voltage should be completely interrupted when the key is turned off.

It is a very dim glow, but still seems like something that will drain batteries over time. I can cut it off at the kill switch breaker, but that's not always practical.

Is this normal? I don't remember seeing it when I was 36v.

Has anyone seen this or have a fix?

Does the ignition switch need to be specifically for 48v?

Thanks,

2006 TXT series
robertk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2017, 05:24 PM   #2
robertk
Getting Wild

Default Re: Faint glow on SOC meter even when off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertk View Post
Since converting to 48v and changing the SOC meter to 48v, I notice that when I turn off the cart the SOC meter still has a very faint glow. Not on a certain indicator bar, but the entire thing -all bars/positions maintain a very dim glow. It is a standard Ezgo/Curtis 48v SOC meter.

It is wired straight from the battery through a circuit breaker and neg bus and the 3rd pin that turns on the display is coming from the key switch. It is a new EZGO uniquely keyed key switch, but I don't recall seeing that they were specific to 36 or 48v and worked fine at 36v.

When I disconnect the 3rd pin to the key switch it is no longer glows. Is this likely from some "bleeding" voltage coming through the key switch?

The reed switch has been bypassed and the ignition has been put first in the series of interlocks (before the F&R micro switch) so that I don't loose voltage to accessories when shifting past neutral. So there is voltage going direct to the ignition all the time - even when turned off or in neutral, but that voltage should be completely interrupted when the key is turned off.

It is a very dim glow, but still seems like something that will drain batteries over time. I can cut it off at the kill switch breaker, but that's not always practical.

Is this normal? I don't remember seeing it when I was 36v.

Has anyone seen this or have a fix?

Does the ignition switch need to be specifically for 48v?

Thanks,

2006 TXT series

Think I got this resolved. Thought I had already checked, but the positive and keyswitch wires on the SOC meter were reversed that I found when checking with the meter. Seems to be turning off now with the keyswitch.

2006 TXT series
Old 03-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #3
robertk
Getting Wild

Quote:
Think I got this resolved. Thought I had already checked, but the positive and keyswitch wires on the SOC meter were reversed that I found when checking with the meter. Seems to be turning off now with the keyswitch.

2006 TXT series

However, there IS a very small voltage coming through the keyswitch even when turned off of about 1.1mv.

2006 TXT series
Old 03-13-2017, 10:03 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
However, there IS a very small voltage coming through the keyswitch even when turned off of about 1.1mv.

2006 TXT series
Using a high input impedance voltmeter such as a handheld DVM, if you connect the negative test lead to the main negative battery pack terminal, you will get a voltage reading from anyplace you touch the positive test lead to on an electric cart. The reason for this is the simple fact there are no perfect insulators. Even the air gap between the keyswitch's open contacts has an Ohmic value.

Wherever there is a conductive path, in this case about several million Ohms, some current will flow when a voltage is applied and and whenever current flows through resistance a voltage is developed across that resistance.

This phenomenon is not seen with analog type voltmeters because their input impedance is typically about 20kΩ per volt and the meter itself provided a relatively low impedance parallel path and no voltage was registered on the meter. Even an El-cheapo DVM has a input impedance of 1MΩ or higher, so it does not load the circuit under test as much and will register some voltage.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Don't you miss the old Simpson analog volt, ohm, milliammeters (VOMs)? I don't have mine anymore.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:19 PM   #6
ncrr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Don't you miss the old Simpson analog volt, ohm, milliammeters (VOMs)? I don't have mine anymore.
Yup my old 260, had it since 1960, finally gave up about 2 years ago..... Miss that old guy.....
Henri
ncrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:26 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrr View Post
Yup my old 260, had it since 1960, finally gave up about 2 years ago..... Miss that old guy.....
Henri
Go to a yard sale and buy one
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:40 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

My 260 bit the dust ages ago.

My wife hates DVM's and picked up an El-cheapo VOM at Radio Shack that has load test functions disposable batteries (AA, 9V etc.) and it is 20KΩ/V.

I shanghai it when I want to check a pot for noise or get rid of phantom voltages, but woe is me if I don't put it back where she keeps it, or get it dirty.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:17 PM   #9
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrr View Post
Henri
I bought a new one about 10 years ago from an electronics supply in Chattanooga TN. They were moving to a new location and found a case of them in the back room. They sold them for the old $150 price marked on the boxes, so I snagged the first one. The gal from the back office came out to gripe because when the price the computer showed the modern price of over $500 and they had to correct it to $150, it notified her that it was being sold for below cost on a new one. They even threw in a new set of batteries. I'm keeping it in the leather case and in the factory box when not using it. I've only used it a couple of times since buying it.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO