lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
mpdive
Not Yet Wild

Default 2001 Club Car DS won't shut down

Hi everyone. I tried to research this topic first before posting but I am not sure what is considered normal as far as starting and operating this cart. Someone donated it to our church so that we can transport seniors to the door. The pastor was told it runs great but won't shut off. I was nominated to be mechanic. So far before even diagnosing everything, I replaced both micro switches for the go pedal. Also new filters , belts, battery, etc. Finally got to start it today and this is what happens... As soon as you turn the key to on it starts and idles fine. Both forward and reverse worked great for the test ride. The engine is always running though, even while sitting with the brakes on. Not sure if this was normal or if the engine is suppose to shut off until you hit the gas again. Other than that the cart runs fine, however, when you turn the key back to off, the cart does not shut off and just continues to run. I just held the choke button to kill the engine. I am not familiar with how these carts operate and whether or not it is suppose to keep running while stopped. I can assume the "not shutting off" is not normal though Any ideas on what to look for on this? I appreciate the help and so do the seniors
mpdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-28-2017, 06:18 PM   #2
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2001 Club Car DS won't shut down

Some people convert them to key start. I'm not sure how to check that though
Jeffreynmandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:45 PM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

There is a white wire with a black tracer stripe that runs around the passenger side of the engine. There should be a bullet connector along that wire near the oil dipstick tube. That would normally lead to a black wire connected to the RPM limiter (black plastic box facing the front of the cart, just above the oil drain plug), with a black wire that runs upward behind the RPM limiter that goes on to the ignition coil itself. See if all that appears intact. The purpose of all that is to ground the ignition, to kill the spark, when the key is switched off OR the gas pedal is released. If that path to ground is open somewhere it won't shut the engine down like it's supposed to.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:01 PM   #4
mpdive
Not Yet Wild

Thank you both for such a quick reply. Thanks for the in-depth diagnosis. I will check that first thing tomorrow morning. If I understand correctly, when you let off the gas the engine should completely shut off is that correct? I am not familiar with the way that golf cart operates. Again thank you for taking the time to respond it is much appreciated
Old 09-28-2017, 07:15 PM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

For a "normal", pedal start cart - yes the engine shuts off each time you completely let off the gas pedal. There are some (mostly "limo" and utility chassis) that are designed to be "key start" instead of pedal start. The factory ones have a key switch with the extra, spring loaded "start" position like a car. Many people have done intentional conversions from pedal start to key start, but even those will shut off with the key. You mentioned you had "replaced both micro switches for the go pedal". Those were the two (one on top of the other) in the black control box, right? The bottom one grounds out the ignition when you let off the pedal, opens the ground for it to run when the pedal is pressed. The upper switch completes the circuit for the solenoid control circuit - engaging the starter/generator when you step on the pedal. That set-up would be consistent with a pedal start cart.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:33 PM   #6
mpdive
Not Yet Wild

I will have to check for the spring loaded ignition tomorrow. I know when I started it today, I just turned the key (Not against spring force) and it started. I never turned the key any further to see if it was spring loaded. I assume then that turning the key should only supply the current needed to run the cart, but it should not actually operate the starter. The depressing of the fuel pedal is what actually energizes the starter. Do I have that correct? Again THANKS!!!!!
Old 09-28-2017, 07:36 PM   #7
mpdive
Not Yet Wild

Oh and yes the two micro switches in the black box operated by the accelerator are what I replaced
Old 09-29-2017, 05:17 PM   #8
CTmailman
Not Yet Wild

Check all the grounds especially the engine to chassis ground.
CTmailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car