lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2020, 06:31 AM   #11
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Batteries and hills?

WalterM6 indirectly raises a good point. Immediately after you go up a hill.....have you checked components for heat? Don't want you to get hurt but have you touched the components to see if any are hot.

Be very careful doing this. Do not burn yourself. Do it as you might do when checking the heat of an iron.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2020, 07:00 AM   #12
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise_24 View Post
Thanks for the info, yes I will try to get readings on the batteries while driving. How can I test my charger to see if it is putting out the right voltage?

Monitor the pack voltage as it charges, you should see the voltage climb to 45v +/- 1v before the charger shuts off.
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:37 PM   #13
Franchise_24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well I worked on it some today and put my meter on it while my father in law was driving it. I have battery problems. 3 of the batteries would go down to 0v when the accelerator was pushed. The total pack voltage was going down to like 23-26v when driving, so after checking each battery while driving I decided just to replace the last 4, so I know it will have 6 new good batteries. I'm hoping this will fix my problem.
Franchise_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:59 AM   #14
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Batteries and hills?

Quote:
Well I worked on it some today and put my meter on it while my father in law was driving it. I have battery problems. 3 of the batteries would go down to 0v when the accelerator was pushed. The total pack voltage was going down to like 23-26v when driving, so after checking each battery while driving I decided just to replace the last 4, so I know it will have 6 new good batteries. I'm hoping this will fix my problem.
4 out of 6 batteries went to 0 as you drove it! Yea you need batteries.

If you have the resistor cart you have to remember one thing. No matter what speed you are going the batteries are giving you everything they have. The coils burn off the extra juice when you go slow so I always say drive it as fast as you can when you can. To get as much out of the batteries instead of burning them off the coils.
Just for info, a good battery pack should all be with in a few numbers of each other.
Each battery should read less than 2 volts form the next one.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:51 PM   #15
Franchise_24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for that info. I will be glad to have 6 new batteries in it, so I will report back after I get them installed and charged and see how the hills go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
4 out of 6 batteries went to 0 as you drove it! Yea you need batteries.

If you have the resistor cart you have to remember one thing. No matter what speed you are going the batteries are giving you everything they have. The coils burn off the extra juice when you go slow so I always say drive it as fast as you can when you can. To get as much out of the batteries instead of burning them off the coils.
Just for info, a good battery pack should all be with in a few numbers of each other.
Each battery should read less than 2 volts form the next one.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:37 PM   #16
Franchise_24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well I got all the batteries in, so 6 new ones. 38.7v is the pack total after 12 hours of charging, and it takes the hills much better now. I am still going to take it out with a meter and check the batteries under load, but it is a big difference now. I know it is not going to fly up the hill, but with 2 adults in it, I noticed a significant difference.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:10 PM   #17
Franchise_24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

If I put the meter on my batteries across all 6 packs, what should the voltage read when they are charging? I showed 45.9v total while charging. My buddy thinks that might be too high so I was wondering...
Old 04-04-2020, 07:33 PM   #18
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
If I put the meter on my batteries across all 6 packs, what should the voltage read when they are charging? I showed 45.9v total while charging. My buddy thinks that might be too high so I was wondering...
On a 36 volt pack during the charging process you can easily and safely see 49 volts.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:37 PM   #19
Franchise_24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
On a 36 volt pack during the charging process you can easily and safely see 49 volts.
Great thank you. I have 6 new batteries and one is bubbling up and leaking out a little so I am thinking I may have a battery with issues.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:24 PM   #20
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Great thank you. I have 6 new batteries and one is bubbling up and leaking out a little so I am thinking I may have a battery with issues.
Common for new batteries to bubble, they may even smell some too. As long as it is not HOT to the touch its generally ok...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car