lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2020, 06:21 PM   #1
ltmoeller
Gone Wild

Default 2017 precedent charging issue

I have a 2017 precedent with original batterie.It has the Eric charger and when I plug it in I hear the 3 beeps and the yellow light flashes 3 time as it always has.When the voltage reaches 55.4 volts the charger light flashes indicating charge is complete.I think my batteries need replacing.I know the factory club car batteries are junk from the get go.
Any hep appreciated.
Tom
ltmoeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2020, 07:16 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 2017 precedent charging issue

If it has original batteries I would suspect those first, but the ERIC charger is not exactly proving itself to be reliable. What is the rest voltage of each battery? After you run the cart for 15-20 minutes what is the voltage of each battery while the cart is being driven? Getting the voltage while the battery is under load tells you its true state. Some batteries will seem fine at rest, but will have a major voltage drop when under load.

The PD+ batteries are not really "junk", but if this was a lease cart (came from a golf course) they probably had the snot beat out of them, and had a lot of abuse that lead acid batteries will not recover from. Running them below 50% state of charge, storing them in a discharged state, or letting the water levels get below the tops of the plates all have serious detrimental affect on the lifespan of a lead battery.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:25 PM   #3
ltmoeller
Gone Wild

I can do that in the morning.I bought the cart last December.It was used on a golf course in Florida.2 of the batteries were replaced.
Tom
Old 07-16-2020, 09:42 AM   #4
ltmoeller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
If it has original batteries I would suspect those first, but the ERIC charger is not exactly proving itself to be reliable. What is the rest voltage of each battery? After you run the cart for 15-20 minutes what is the voltage of each battery while the cart is being driven? Getting the voltage while the battery is under load tells you its true state. Some batteries will seem fine at rest, but will have a major voltage drop when under load.

The PD+ batteries are not really "junk", but if this was a lease cart (came from a golf course) they probably had the snot beat out of them, and had a lot of abuse that lead acid batteries will not recover from. Running them below 50% state of charge, storing them in a discharged state, or letting the water levels get below the tops of the plates all have serious detrimental affect on the lifespan of a lead battery.
I did a driving load test and pressing pedal to the floor on take off it goes to 43.5 volts.At half throttle it's between 46 and 47.5 volts.
Tom
Old 07-17-2020, 08:45 AM   #5
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Do the same test on each battery and post results....
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:52 AM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Those are probably about toast. Drive it for 20 minutes or so and repeat that test you'll probably see pack voltage dropping into the upper 30v range. Testing each battery individually will tell you which one is dropping the most, but its likely you have at least one falling under 7v on initial take-off, and the others are running in the low 7v range while cruising.
A good pack won't typically get below 48v at a steady cruise. At part throttle it should be well above that. Hard acceleration uphill you might see it dip down to 46-47 but should come back up pretty quickly once the cart gets moving.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car