lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2020, 11:22 AM   #1
baxhall
Not Yet Wild

Default G9 Battery Drain

Hi,
My G9 is draining battery overnight almost. I purchased a new battery so that's not it. I DO NOT have any accessories, radio, lights etc. What could be the cause of the drain?

I have not checked my voltage regulator but I did purchase a new one online since it was pretty cheap but when I installed it the cart would not work so I put the old one back in. Physically the new VR looked identical but didn't work.

Any help appreciated. Either where I can get the proper VR or other things to check.
Thanks!
baxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2020, 11:30 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: G9 Battery Drain

Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Hook a test light or some form of incandescent light bulb between the negative battery cable and the terminal. The light will turn on. Unplug things one at a time until the light shuts off. When it shuts off you’ve found your culprit. I’d start with the VR but that’s just me. Could be anything
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:53 PM   #3
baxhall
Not Yet Wild

Thanks CP, I will troubleshoot this evening!
Old 10-15-2020, 06:31 PM   #4
baxhall
Not Yet Wild

Didn’t have a test light but I hooked up my multimeter to the battery, put it in neutral and ran it for a min and it read between 16-17volts. So the VR is charging but is there a such thing as too much?
Old 10-16-2020, 06:34 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxhall View Post
Didn’t have a test light but I hooked up my multimeter to the battery, put it in neutral and ran it for a min and it read between 16-17volts. So the VR is charging but is there a such thing as too much?
Yep, if it's charging over 14.5 volts its too much. You'll cook the battery eventually.

But you didn't do what he suggested. If your battery is dying while it sits, there is something staying on, or drawing amps, while it's off. You need to use the multimeter to jump between the negative cable and the battery so you can see how many volts are being drawn. Then, disconnect things one at a time and you'll find the circuit that is drawing when it drops to zero. Start with the voltage regulator since it's overcharging, betting it will be drawing amps when off.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:22 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I skipped meter diag because most people don’t have one or know how to use it.

But if you do, set it to amperage. Disconnect the negative terminal and hook the red probe to the cable, and the black probe to the terminal itself. This will show you the amperage being drawn while the cart sits. Again, disconnect components one at a time until the draw is reduced. Should be under 5-10mA at most.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:19 AM   #7
baxhall
Not Yet Wild

Very helpful, I’ll try this next. So what I’m understanding is that on a properly functioning cart there shouldn’t be any draw on the negative terminal when it’s sitting. Is that an accurate statement?

Sorry if I’m asking too many questions just trying to understand. Thx again!
Old 10-16-2020, 09:51 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Correct. You should basically have no drain at all with everything turned off
Old 10-16-2020, 01:08 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I skipped meter diag because most people don’t have one or know how to use it.

But if you do, set it to amperage. Disconnect the negative terminal and hook the red probe to the cable, and the black probe to the terminal itself. This will show you the amperage being drawn while the cart sits. Again, disconnect components one at a time until the draw is reduced. Should be under 5-10mA at most.
Yes amperage setting, that's what I was trying to say lol
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:10 PM   #10
baxhall
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Yep, if it's charging over 14.5 volts its too much. You'll cook the battery eventually.

But you didn't do what he suggested. If your battery is dying while it sits, there is something staying on, or drawing amps, while it's off. You need to use the multimeter to jump between the negative cable and the battery so you can see how many volts are being drawn. Then, disconnect things one at a time and you'll find the circuit that is drawing when it drops to zero. Start with the voltage regulator since it's overcharging, betting it will be drawing amps when off.
So, come to find out the battery was bad, would not hold a charge so took it back and exchanged it, likely because the VR fried it. I did replace the VR today and ran a test with multimeter and still charging around 16-16.5v when I'm running it at top end.

Could there be something else causing the VR to have that high of a reading? I also did the light test that you guys suggested and it would not light up so I'm assuming my drain was due to bad battery but I don't want to fry the new one so again, wondering what else I can check or what could cause the VR to have such a high reading.

Thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha