lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2022, 11:02 AM   #1
McLarenCVO
Getting Wild

Default Battery replacement EZGO TXT 36v

Hey everyone. I have been searching this morning and just need some advice. I have an 01 TXT. It needs batteries and I just need to know which route to go. I was thinking about buying 48v but then again I am on a budget so I may just keep it 36v for now. Any budget minded 48v conversions out there?
McLarenCVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2022, 11:36 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Battery replacement EZGO TXT 36v

Some of it depends on drive system but mainly a controller, solenoid, charger and batteries.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:54 AM   #3
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

If you're even considering going to 48 volts, now is the time to do it or you'll be waiting another 5 or 6 years. The difference in price between 6-6volt and 6-8volt batteries is minimal. Depending on your model of cart, other things you might have to change are controller, solenoid, battery cables & F/R switch. First thing to do is inventory what you currently have. Controllers and solenoid usually have a label that says what voltage they operate on. If you don't have #2 battery cables, plan on getting them. If you have the manual F/R lever by your leg, you may need to upgrade that. If you have the switch on the dash you're probably good to go. Most 36 volt motors can run on 48 volts.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. Check with ScottyB, he probably has an affordable upgrade package for you!
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 12:05 PM   #4
McLarenCVO
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lenny View Post
If you're even considering going to 48 volts, now is the time to do it or you'll be waiting another 5 or 6 years. The difference in price between 6-6volt and 6-8volt batteries is minimal. Depending on your model of cart, other things you might have to change are controller, solenoid, battery cables & F/R switch. First thing to do is inventory what you currently have. Controllers and solenoid usually have a label that says what voltage they operate on. If you don't have #2 battery cables, plan on getting them. If you have the manual F/R lever by your leg, you may need to upgrade that. If you have the switch on the dash you're probably good to go. Most 36 volt motors can run on 48 volts.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. Check with ScottyB, he probably has an affordable upgrade package for you!
Awesome thanks. Its stock so will have to open controller box and look at that. might be a little late in the year as camping starts soon. A friend has some year old batteries I may buy since he just went to 48v. This will just get me by for the summer and I will start collecting 48v parts.
Old 04-06-2022, 12:40 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Can you identify which drive system you are asking about? IN 2001 Ezgo made PDS with a F&R rocker switch on the dash and a SERIES drive with a lever down by the seat.

Each system has its own idiosyncrasies when it comes to 48 conversion. Stock PDS motors don't last long on 48v. But the electronics are simple and only the controller and solenoid need to be upgraded for 48v operation.
THe SERIES motor is fine on 48v but it also will need a controller, solenoid, and 48v charger to support the 48v operation.

You can see - if the budget is a driving factor 36v batteries and away you go may be the way to go. Enjoy the carting
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 01:03 PM   #6
McLarenCVO
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Can you identify which drive system you are asking about? IN 2001 Ezgo made PDS with a F&R rocker switch on the dash and a SERIES drive with a lever down by the seat.

Each system has its own idiosyncrasies when it comes to 48 conversion. Stock PDS motors don't last long on 48v. But the electronics are simple and only the controller and solenoid need to be upgraded for 48v operation.
THe SERIES motor is fine on 48v but it also will need a controller, solenoid, and 48v charger to support the 48v operation.

You can see - if the budget is a driving factor 36v batteries and away you go may be the way to go. Enjoy the carting
It is the one with the lever by the seat. So then I would need your conversion kit correct?
Old 04-06-2022, 03:48 PM   #7
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

If you plan on keeping it 36 volt but want to boost the performance a bit, I would suggest send the motor off to Plum Quick and get the Bandit rebuild. At $275 plus shipping i think it was the best bang for the buck. I could run 21mph on 36 volts plus more torque. Of course that only lasted a short time until I wanted more speed!
Old 04-06-2022, 04:17 PM   #8
McLarenCVO
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lenny View Post
If you plan on keeping it 36 volt but want to boost the performance a bit, I would suggest send the motor off to Plum Quick and get the Bandit rebuild. At $275 plus shipping i think it was the best bang for the buck. I could run 21mph on 36 volts plus more torque. Of course that only lasted a short time until I wanted more speed!
Ya I am going to stay 36v for now. Going to get some batteries soon. I did see the Plum Quick motors! Thought that sounded pretty cool. Did you need to upgrade anything else after the rebuild? I’m just going around a campground so speed won’t get used. But a bump in torque would be great for hills!
Old 04-06-2022, 08:19 PM   #9
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Didn’t have to do anything else after the Bandit upgrade but by choice I upgraded the wires. I think PQ says you get a 25% increase in torque. It’s good bang for the buck!
Old 04-06-2022, 09:01 PM   #10
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

IMO if your new to carting and the camp ground. Take the deal on the 1 year old batteries and see if it meets your needs. Come time to buy new batteries, then upgrade to 48. Worthwhile upgrade long run.
Most camp grounds I visit have a 5 to 10 mph speed limit so 36 volt should to fine.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO