lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2022, 02:06 PM   #1
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Rear Winch Mounting ?

I need some feedback on "re-mounting" my cart's rear winch. Now, the pic below was prior to the initial mounting of the winch, and the batteries you see in this pic are long gone. It's now an empty bagwell. My previous rear winch mount was Mickey Moused in and I never liked it.

So, I'm thinking of (see the pic and I'll do my best to convey my thoughts) taking the winch mounting plate, and bolting it, using three pieces of Allthread (3/8" IIRC) via drilling three holes in the winch plate, and thru the rear bumper. Two pieces of all thread would go through at least two of the "bumper pipes" (Maybe 3 as in the pic....if I can make that work) and another just one, so not to interfere with the hitch mount.

I think that should be strong enough should I need to "assist" the cart getting outta a muddy place, or winching down a short steep grade. (To one of my favorite fishing places)

Any comments on this? I do not weld. My nephew "welder" moved to NJ to chase a very nice girl who is having his baby.....go figure.

DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-09-2022, 09:53 AM   #2
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rear Winch Mounting ?

Dave keep in mind without seeing winch and mounting plate.
I would prefer not to drill thru bumper. A hole really weakens round tubing.
Can you use U bolts going around the bars into mounting plate instead. Those could be made from all thread “if” you heated to make the bends.

Do you have option of mounting winch to floor of the bag well ?
Then mount cables rollers ( forget what those are called) . This keeps winch little more protected plus cart still protected by bumpers if needed. 😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:45 AM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Do I see a 2” receiver under there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 83E859D5-135F-4DC4-8592-AAD5BE63CA32.jpg (42.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg D3FC75B8-FE26-4200-984E-9F801DFCE14A.jpeg (24.9 KB, 0 views)
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 01:04 PM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Thanks for the responses guys.

On the trailer hitch option I already have one of those & frankly, they are a PITA. The winch hangs out low & when traversing hills it’s not unusual for the hitch mount to drag the ground, thus announcing to every whitetail in a half mile radius where I am. Plus backing up into tight spaces is not a good thing.

Whe I look at my front bumper, the weld plate is just welded to one tube & that’s plenty strong enough to pull the cart anywhere.

Plus……I just decided to have at it this am and drilled holes through two tubes. I realize this weakens the tubes, but for when I use the rear winch it should be fine. And if not….well then I’ll have to hunt up a weld shop to fix my screw up.

I can’t mount it to the floor as the floor is just the fiberglass body. No steel there to wrench it to. I’ll post pics when I’m done so you can wince at my winch mount.
Old 04-09-2022, 01:17 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

There is a steel plate that goes across the back at the rear of the bag well as that is where the hitch bolts to. How about a plate that bolts to the uprights and the top of the bumper..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5B33052B-8B04-4234-8DD3-43678DA3D635.jpg (31.2 KB, 0 views)
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 02:38 PM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Welp....here it is....needing "cleanup" and the rollers bolted back on. I will put a coating of Rustoelum on all shiny surfaces....even the threads....just to keep the rust away. It's very solid...but of course, yanking it outta a mud slog or whatnot will be the proof of did I screw up or not.

Old 04-10-2022, 09:07 AM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Sometimes I "jump the gun" on my giving consideration to other ways of accomplishing my objectives.

Some measuring and thought to using something "normally" not even thought of may (or may not) be better at getting where I want the project to be.

For example, this am as I was just hangin out I thought of a reloading accessory that may have worked better.

The pic below is to mount a reloading press higher on the workbench. These accessories are built tough and come in riser heights of 4" and 7".

A bolt to the floor plus a horizontal bolt run thru this mount plate and thru the top tube of the bumper may have been a stronger\better option.

Old 04-10-2022, 06:19 PM   #8
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Nice mounting option.
Could also cut out a metal plate for under bag well and thru bolt winch mount to that maybe.
We’re a great Monday quarter back group lol 😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO