lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2023, 11:10 AM   #1
Trenks
Not Yet Wild

Default 48v trickle charger

Anyone use a trickle charger?? I have a summit II charger, not sure leaving this plugged in would serve as a trickle charger. The reason I ask is because the cart could sit for a month or two without use.
Trenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2023, 05:32 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 48v trickle charger

If the cart is going to sit for that long without use, put the cart in Tow mode if it has a Tow/Run switch, and disconnect the battery pack main negative cable after it has been fully charged. Then before the cart will be used again re-connect the pack -, and plug in the charger so it can top off the pack before using the cart.

The summit II doesn't trickle charge, but when left plugged into the pack it will do a top-off charge if the pack drops to a certain preset voltage. That voltage is determined by which battery profile is active in the charger. This would likely be every 3-4 weeks if the cart is left in Run mode, and stored in a temp controlled area. If the cart is stored outside or in a non-temp controlled area such as a shed or detached garage, this could be longer or shorter depending on ambient temperature.

Generally a trickle charger is only useful if you'll use the cart every 1-2 weeks. If the cart has to be left for longer periods it's better to just disconnect the pack so it will not be drawn down by the cart.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 09:31 PM   #3
Trenks
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for that detailed answer. Appreciate it.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:09 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I do not totally agree with this advice. FLA batteries self discharge even when disconnected from each other. I like the method of using a "Trickle Charger" if the cart will sit for more than a couple weeks. First fully charge them then hook up a trickle charger with your cart in TOW mode. Your batteries will last longer if kept fully charged - which a decent trickle charger will do. I always use on on my cars when they will sit for a time also. Battery Tender makes one for 48 Volts.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 12:47 PM   #5
Trenks
Not Yet Wild

Thank you! That was my thinking as well Volt
Old 02-13-2023, 03:45 AM   #6
cueball94
Not Yet Wild

When I was snowbirding to Fla. every 6 months, I always used the 48v battery minder trickle charger. I never had a problem.... even in 95-100 degree temps.
It's pricey, but a good product.
cueball94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 07:20 AM   #7
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Here are a couple that will get the job done. https://www.batteryminders.com/golf-...aintainer.html

https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...uer/jac0348man
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 10:58 AM   #8
Trenks
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lenny View Post
I was looking at the 125,00 charger. Seems to be all I need. Its also on Amazon for 99.00 last I looked.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car