lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2023, 01:56 PM   #1
DTCerrato
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default KF82 won't start

I have a KF82 that won't start. Has spark, and fuel. Cranks but won't start. Pulled the air filter off and fuel comes out the carb opening along with small blasts of air while cranking. It's an old cart and was pondering of a self-repair but don't know where to start. any comments, suggestions, or input would be greatly appreciated. Just got here and this is my first post, thanks.
DTCerrato is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2023, 10:53 PM   #2
Ricks_club
Gone Wild

Default Re: KF82 won't start

Welcome to BGW.

Does the engine have any compression ?

Richard
Ricks_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 12:20 AM   #3
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Is this cart new to you and you have never seen it run, or is it something that has suddenly happened to a running cart. If so, what if anything has been done to it recently. I am wondering if the starter is turning backward. If not, i guess it is a valve issue. As previously asked. Does it have any compression?
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 08:59 AM   #4
DTCerrato
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricks_club View Post
Welcome to BGW.

Does the engine have any compression ?

Richard
No compression
Old 05-26-2023, 09:01 AM   #5
DTCerrato
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

No compression
Old 05-26-2023, 09:07 AM   #6
DTCerrato
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

No compression. We have been running this cart for many years. Lately it got to sometimes no start then quit running completely. Turns freely with no compression.
Old 05-26-2023, 09:20 AM   #7
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Then it sounds like your inlet valve is stuck open. Either stuck, broken spring or maybe the cam is not turning. Looks like it's time to strip the engine to find out what is wrong.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 11:03 AM   #8
DTCerrato
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I think I'll get into it. It would be nice if it were just a valve.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-26-2023, 05:24 PM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Could also be that the plastic cam gear has broken loose and is just spinning freely on the camshaft. Which could have left one of the valves open as mentioned earlier. Had this happen to my 1990 DS about three years ago. Common failure and relatively easy fix. They sell kits online with the gear + bolts to re-attach it.

You can pop off the tappet cover on the front of the motor and spin it. See if the valves are moving. If they're not moving then it's almost certain to be that cam gear. It's the weak spot in the valvetrain, probably by design.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 07:41 PM   #10
DTCerrato
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

OK I got into it today, there's some carnage but rebuildable. The camshaft gear did come loose. The carnage came when the metal plate that's riveted with the camshaft plastic gear got loose and got crushed up in the works. The piston skirts got broke & damaged, the connecting rod is scuffed with dents but looks to be straight & intact and the balance shaft plastic gear has got some damage I don't trust. I'm wondering if I can buy just the metal plate that marries the camshaft plastic gear or do without it or have to buy the complete camshaft - comments welcomed. Can I reuse the connecting rod bolts or do I need to replace them? I'm planning on replacing the two crankshaft seals. All the bearings look and feel good. I'm impressed with the engine design - robust industrial. I'd like to get it running again and appreciate the input. TIA Dan
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car