lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2023, 06:44 PM   #1
TigrDsignr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO TXT GAS starting but not turning over

Went through testing and found the solenoid as well as ignition coil were bad. Replaced both of those as well as the key switch, spark plugs and igniter. Going to replace the belts. Looks like the micro switch at the Forward Reverse shifter has been bypassed, but plan to put that back like it should be.

So, it will start but not turn over and run. The only thing that hasn’t been touched is the carburetor and making sure the valves have proper clearance. We have compression, fuel going through the fuel filter and pump to the plugs, along with clean air filter.

Any ideas on what we could be missing to get it to run?
TigrDsignr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2023, 07:57 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO TXT GAS starting but not turning over

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigrDsignr View Post
Went through testing and found the solenoid as well as ignition coil were bad. Replaced both of those as well as the key switch, spark plugs and igniter. Going to replace the belts. Looks like the micro switch at the Forward Reverse shifter has been bypassed, but plan to put that back like it should be.

So, it will start but not turn over and run. The only thing that hasn’t been touched is the carburetor and making sure the valves have proper clearance. We have compression, fuel going through the fuel filter and pump to the plugs, along with clean air filter.

Any ideas on what we could be missing to get it to run?
Sort of hard to help when we don't know what cart or engine you have. One of your other posts suggest you have the Robbin MCI engine ? Grey timing cover on yours ? No exhaust manifold that bolts to head ? Just the two studs ?

Are you replacing these parts because it won't fire ?
How did you determine the coil was bad ?
The micro switch you are referring to is probably what makes your reverse buzzer work.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 02:49 PM   #3
TigrDsignr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It is a Robins EH29C engine - Pre-MCI. It stopped running and started running tests in the service manual to figure out parts were bad and replaced accordingly. The micro switch bypassed does look to be to one that is for the reverse buzzer. I would like to put that back in place, but can’t find the micro switch in my online search. Black timing cover. The cart is an EXGO TXT 2005 gas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0021.jpg (25.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-28-2023, 03:17 PM   #4
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
It is a Robins EH29C engine - Pre-MCI. It stopped running and started running tests in the service manual to figure out parts were bad and replaced accordingly. The micro switch bypassed does look to be to one that is for the reverse buzzer. I would like to put that back in place, but can’t find the micro switch in my online search. Black timing cover. The cart is an EXGO TXT 2005 gas.
Now we know its a pre mci engine .
By the way, Ezgo discontinued the Pre Mci engine after 2003 and went to the MCI but now we know what engine yours is so maybe we can find out why it won't run.
Have you tested it to see if its firing ?
Was you driving it when it stopped ?
Old 05-28-2023, 09:07 PM   #5
TigrDsignr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Not driving it when it stopped, it was parked. I went and got on it to start it and nothing. It is sparking, tested the spark plugs.
Old 05-28-2023, 11:37 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Not driving it when it stopped, it was parked. I went and got on it to start it and nothing. It is sparking, tested the spark plugs.
Just make sure you ground those spark plugs to something metal on the engine when testing for spark.
Have you got fuel going to carburetor ? Make sure throttle is moving linkage when you push the pedal with key off.
Your spark plugs look good ? are they dry looking ? or wet ?
Have you tested the compression ?
Valves on these engines need adjusting often. .004 is what both intake and exhaust set on.
Probably something simple.
Old 05-29-2023, 07:43 AM   #7
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Many people that have never had one of these carts think they are running when they are actually just turning over.

I am only guessing so you can tell me if I am wrong.
You parked the cart. You went to use it and when you turned the key on and pushed the pedal the engine turned over but it didn't run ?

Or maybe it wouldn't turn over when you pushed the pedal with key on.

I can help better if you explain exactly what happened before you starting replacing parts.
Old 05-29-2023, 05:28 PM   #8
TigrDsignr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes, parked it for a few days. Put a windshield and mirrors on it and was going to drive around the neighborhood….turned the key and nothing happened. Already know part of the issue was the ground by the battery, which has been fixed. So, now you turn the key and press the peddle - it will turn over but not start. Sorry, new at this and not sure of the proper terms. The belts run - definitely fuel to the plugs. I’m going to adjust the valves and see if that makes a difference. I have the service manuals for both the cart and engine, so have been going test by test to try and figure it out. I’m thinking at this point, with the parts replaced it has to be something simple. Can the valves being off cause it not to start? Also, with the choke on these carts, is it normal to have to pull it out and it pops back in or should it stay out and have to be pushed back in?
Old 05-29-2023, 08:49 PM   #9
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Yes, parked it for a few days. Put a windshield and mirrors on it and was going to drive around the neighborhood….turned the key and nothing happened. Already know part of the issue was the ground by the battery, which has been fixed. So, now you turn the key and press the peddle - it will turn over but not start. Sorry, new at this and not sure of the proper terms. The belts run - definitely fuel to the plugs. I’m going to adjust the valves and see if that makes a difference. I have the service manuals for both the cart and engine, so have been going test by test to try and figure it out. I’m thinking at this point, with the parts replaced it has to be something simple. Can the valves being off cause it not to start? Also, with the choke on these carts, is it normal to have to pull it out and it pops back in or should it stay out and have to be pushed back in?
You said you replaced the ignitor ? can you tell us what brand you installed and maybe upload a picture of the one you removed. How did you test for spark ?
Old 05-29-2023, 09:55 PM   #10
TigrDsignr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It is a Red Hawk. Pulled the plug out and grounded it with the wire on it while pushing the pedal. It was definitely sparking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3350.jpg (112.5 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO