lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
Jim W.
Not Yet Wild

Default Start and stop

I have a G2 and it seems there is a possibility that the throttle switch has gone bad. For some time now I would have to push the peddle down a couple times or at least push the peddle slowly to get the starter to turn over. Now pushing on the peddle nothing happens. When I jump the two large post on the solenoid the starter turns over, while doing this and pushing down on the throttle peddle the cart runs and you can drive it. Just don't let off on the peddle or you have to jump the post again. Am I right in assuming the throttle switch is bad? And is this switch also called the stop switch or that something different?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2013, 05:29 AM   #2
CharlieN
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Start and stop

The pedal switch on the G2 has just one contact in it for both start and ignition from what I see.
Is the battery charged fully?
I expect the issue with start might be somewhere else unless the switch is just not flowing enough current to close the solenoid.
Try jumping to the small red/white wire on the solenoid since that is what the switch sends it's power to and see if it cranks over.
CharlieN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
Jim W.
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply. This weekend I give it a try. The battery is fully charged. What controls the speed? I assumed the pedal switch is like a reostat <sp>.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 06-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
Honorstick
Gone Wild Still Learnin

Yamaha

The speed is controlled by the throttle cable that runs from the pedal the switch is just basically an on/off circuit.
Honorstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Jim W.
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, after I posted the reply My Mind said to me DUH, I'm not very bright when I first wake up.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

the two small "bullet connectors" that connect the start/stop switch have been troublesome for me in the past. they are only a few inches away from the switch. usually tucked under the ledge of the pedal area when the cover is off. i have seen rare occasions where, no matter how hard i tried, i had a problem in the harness that would cause the whole start/stop circuit to drop to around 4v when under load, but appear fine when not under load. i had to run a new positive lead to the switch. before you do anything that drastic, check the basics first...while pressing the pedal (and it not working)...check batt voltage, check voltage at large solenoid terminal (side coming from battery +), check voltage at start/stop switch, then check voltage at the 2 small terminals on the solenoid. if you check these in this order, you will find which area you need to focus on. if none of these voltages are low, i would be looking into possible starter/generator problems.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Another "Quick-Test",Pull up the floor-panel,put the cart in "Nuetral",unplug the switch harness from the pedal and jump the leads.If it turns over,the switch is shot,if nothing happens,Reconnect everything and go to the start-solenoid with a test-light.One of the small studs should get power when you step on the pedal.If you have power,and no "Click" from the solenoid,replace it.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #8
Jim W.
Not Yet Wild

Wow this info will help. It will have to wait until Friday when I get to the campground. Ill let you all know what I find.
In the mean time any other items that I need to check let me know.

Jim
Old 06-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
Jim W.
Not Yet Wild

Thanks all for the help. I first unplugged the start stop switch and ohm'd the leads the switch was good. I then plugged it back in and checked the power to the solenoid. there was power to the one large post and no others as should be. Then I checked for power with the peddle down. Still had power to the one large post and to the top small post, nothing to the others and no clicking sound. Conclusion bad solenoid. Picked up a new one at a golf cart repair (way too expensive) and replaced it. All is good now, works as advertised. In fact it seems a bit faster. I guess the old solenoid was causing a voltage or amperage drop.

Thanks again,
Jim
Old 06-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha