lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-26-2014, 09:02 PM   #11
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: How far should I go?

My biggest problem with the G1 is the suspension. For any road driving above 25 mph.....it's downright dangerous! Personally I wouldn't advise anyone with a G1 to go over 25 mph without getting a new front suspension and steering system.

With that said, as 89 and Sho said, you won't have any probs getting a nicely put together G1 engine to get to 5000 rpm. And with 22" tires you will be in the 30 mph range. My G1 with governor disabled and lift and tires did 30. With the Enticer 250 setup (with a bad carb) it did over 40 mph, and it really ran good in the mid and top end, no low end power at all though. Sled setups really suffer unless you can use all the stock components like carb and pipe. It's tough in a cart, just no room.

My G1 has had the following engines/results:

1. stock = no gov, Plowman's clutch kit, 30 mph
2. stock w/Enticer 250 top end/carb = 40 mph, w/94c primary
3. VC440 clone stock = 34 mph w/stock carb
4. VC440 built = 42 mph and still climbing at 6800 rpm
5. Vanguard 16 twin = governed 25 mph, quickest yet to 20 mph, 780 clutch

By far the Vanguard is my favorite simply because of how smooth it is and how much torque it has off idle. Peels the tires easily from a dead stop. My second choice would be the Enticer 250 setup. It ran great, cool sound, really fast on top, just wish it would run as slow speeds. The built 440 would be my 3rd choice, although it's a close 3rd. It was too loud and noise, just doesn't "sound" good. Stock G1 sucked. LOL

I'm very serious about the front suspension and steering. For safety's sake I recommend improving that to an atv type suspension. My cart at higher speeds is super stable and smooth now, best mod I've done by far! The problem is once you lift the G1, the a arms tend to have camber problems, mainly due to the design of the single a arm. Just not designed for high speed driving. With it's relatively narrow track, at speeds it just feels unstable and sketch. Most times people will toe the front tires in to combat the camber issues, and that makes high speed handling "darty".
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-26-2014, 09:07 PM   #12
Banshee1700
Not Yet Wild

That's wat I was afraid of hearing... Hey!!! I got an old craftsman with a Briggs 21 in it, lol!
JUS KIDDIN! Changin a jug out Id prolly be willin ta do, Marathon I kinda guessed U prolly had one of the baddest G1's, there jus gotta b a way ta make it decently torqy, not like wheelie poppin but least able ta climb a lil hill R two!
Banshee1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:12 PM   #13
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee1700 View Post
That's wat I was afraid of hearing... Hey!!! I got an old craftsman with a Briggs 21 in it, lol!
JUS KIDDIN! Changin a jug out Id prolly be willin ta do, Marathon I kinda guessed U prolly had one of the baddest G1's, there jus gotta b a way ta make it decently torqy, not like wheelie poppin but least able ta climb a lil hill R two!
I climbed some serious backwoods hills with ruts and rocks and roots. It was slow, but it climbed them with no problems! You'll need a good performance secondary clutch to keep you in low gear and to backshift well.

The G1 engine is not torquey. Good luck on that. It will, however, rev to the moon if you set it up right. It will cruise nice and smooth at 30 mph in stock trim if it's all in good condition. It definitely will NEVER pull the tires up. LOL

And 89's G1 was cool. But mine's the best one around!
Old 12-26-2014, 09:16 PM   #14
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
And 89's G1 was cool. But mine's the best one around!
I hate you Andy!!!

My G1 would pull any hill, but slowly.
Even the Vanguards can't compete with it on top end. It's all in what you are looking for. Most want low-end torque, and the G1 motor won't provide that.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:11 PM   #15
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The G1s I played with were all stock no lifts, so they had 18" tire gearing to help with torque. The fast one I could lean off the side and smoke the right tire on pavement with the brake on long as I wanted, so how much torque do you need? Its not a big engine, but I doubt any other stock cart would best it to this day. You want fast I'd recommend a larger engine than stock. I thought the G1 had good torque for a what 215cc engine? I did powerslides in grass and gravel for hours and my stock G9 would not have a prayer of doing that stuff.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 02:27 AM   #16
Banshee1700
Not Yet Wild

"Andy"... That's MY name! LOL! So who's was the baddest, who is the true G1
Grand Mobu!? Lmao, " now sit bak n watch em run boys";)
Banshee1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:10 AM   #17
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee1700 View Post
"Andy"... That's MY name! LOL! So who's was the baddest, who is the true G1
Grand Mobu!?
Lmao, " now sit bak n watch em run boys";)
Of course my G1 = Geep1

I went one summer with a modified stock engine, just not enough! Now running a Honda clone engine.

GEEP1-1.jpg

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:11 AM   #18
TheGDFP
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

TheGDFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #19
TheGDFP
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

They're absolutely right, in that 215cc is not going to make the torque of a 479cc twin. Compared to the functionality of a 212cc Predator, the 'lil 2t will bury it :)

You can tailor the limited torque and clutching to match. And torque increases are easy and effective. Squish/quench, timing and tuning are cheap, can easily add 30-40%

I'm reading in to the comments, that gearing is kinda too tall for 22" tires and the available clutching?

Does any one have a stock jug, to measure spigot/sleeve OD? Adding displacement is the easiest, as the flood of BB swaps show.
TheGDFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:35 AM   #20
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
Of course my G1 = Geep1

I went one summer with a modified stock engine, just not enough! Now running a Honda clone engine.

Attachment 113235
I thought you got a Vtwin?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha