lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #1
Cdebo1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default G21 help.

Ok guys I need the brains. I just picked up a 2002 g21 compression was good @ 120 and cart runs. But there are a few issues. Orignal when purchased the cart you would push the accelarator and it would jump to life but run at a whopping 6mph. I just tried a quick fix and cranked down the govner a bit and it helped but not much. Now it kinda bucks when lightly depressing the pedel then will get up around maybe 8mph. At full accelarator. So the question is where to start. The mounts look good no slop in the motor not sure how to check anything else any guidance would be helpful. Also not sure what motor it has is there a plate anywhere to help me identify. I know that the GODS here can help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (193.4 KB, 0 views)
Cdebo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G21 help.

Check clutches for slop, check belt width (should be riding at very top of rear pulley when at rest). Check for full throttle at carb when pedal is pressed all the way (can be checked with key off).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:19 PM   #3
Cdebo1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Where would I be looking for clutch slop (I'm mean obviously the clutch ) but up down side to side....in between the plates? I imagine that it should tighten as the engine spools? new to the gas world. So sorry for the noob questions. Going to check all cables tomorrow in the am but having a hard time funding a new accel to govner cable for the g21 do they share parts with another model?
Old 04-10-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

G21 prob has its own cable (its a longer frame). Front clutch- grab gold cap, push up & down vertically, should be very little "rocking" movement. Remove gold cap, inspect 3 rollers for flat spots (likely will find some, if so replace all 3 rollers, never one at a time). Rear clutch- with belt removed, twist sliding sheave against spring (google "yamaha sliding sheave") just enough to twist sheave off spring seat (or helix in CC & ezgo terms), then press towards transmission with thumb at top, the whole thing should move evenly towards the transmission, not just the top where your thumb is (indicates worn bushing). Best part of yamaha clutches is you can buy just the parts you need, not "whole clutch" like CC & ezgo. Sorry if this is hard to understand, its much easier to show someone than type it out.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:02 PM   #5
Cdebo1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thanks. I think I get it. I will check it out tomorrow and post results. As far as the govner goes I see some people say cram it all the way down and some say never ever thoughts?
Old 04-10-2015, 09:13 PM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdebo1 View Post
Ok guys I need the brains. I just picked up a 2002 g21 compression was good @ 120 and cart runs. But there are a few issues. Orignal when purchased the cart you would push the accelarator and it would jump to life but run at a whopping 6mph. I just tried a quick fix and cranked down the govner a bit and it helped but not much. Now it kinda bucks when lightly depressing the pedel then will get up around maybe 8mph. At full accelarator. So the question is where to start. The mounts look good no slop in the motor not sure how to check anything else any guidance would be helpful. Also not sure what motor it has is there a plate anywhere to help me identify. I know that the GODS here can help
Isn't 120 psi awful low on compression test?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:13 PM   #7
Cdebo1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Isn't 120 psi awful low on compression test?

I was told by others on the site that this motor should be somewhere within the 117 tp 120 range. For stock 301/357
Old 04-11-2015, 07:41 AM   #8
Cdebo1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Hey thanks for the help. So quick morning inspection i find a few flaws. 1. No GOLD CAP on clutch (I assume not a big deal but helps keep things out of the sheave) 2. I am totally missing a Weight and roller assembly gone not even there (could this cause some of the issues?) I assume that these rollers and weights to move the clutch? 3. The 2 rollers left are full of flat spots. I am thinking i will start with replacing all three rollers and see where that goes. Thoughts? Also if any one can confirm that the G21 compression should be in the 120 range?
Old 04-11-2015, 07:44 AM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdebo1 View Post
I was told by others on the site that this motor should be somewhere within the 117 tp 120 range. For stock 301/357
Don't have a manual for g21 but do for g16,g20 is 142-164, g14 is 142-178.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:53 AM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Other thoughts, did you adjust the valves first? Did you try the test again after oiling the cylinder? My badly smoking g14 read 125 then 140 oiled.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha