lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2015, 04:37 PM   #1
chevyman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default motor rebuild oil question

Ok here it is . I bought a 97 g16 from a local golf course . We all know that they are not the best for taking care of threre units. Ok the skinny I knew I need rings and it dose the cylinder is in great shape and the piston also. So just a rehach there and new rings. The rod on the other hand was smoked on the crankshaft end so new rod and the machine shop was able to save the crank. So here's the question everyone says synthetic oil in these things but what about for break in . I have built a bunch of small blocks and always use a conventional oil with Zink in it . What about these things tho never delt with a oil slapper be for ?
chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2015, 06:41 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: motor rebuild oil question

Welcome to BGW Regular blend for break in of the rings, then you can go to senthetic.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:41 AM   #3
chevyman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks smallblock450sl . Conventional it is. How long would you run that for? 20 mins like breaking in a cam in a car ?
Old 04-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Break in is similar to a car. Break in with conventional oil, zinc is good for the bearings. I will start and idle the engine until it comes to temp. Then increase idle to say 1500 rpm for 10 minutes. Make sure all the engine covers are installed, this will keep the engine from overheating. Then I vary the throttle with my hand for another 5-10 minutes. I drain the oil and refill with new, any of your choice. I then install the engine and drive it normal, but not racing style, and no heavy loads. Just drive it around easy for a few weeks, maybe 20 hours worth. Drain refill oil again. Has worked for me all my life on mowers, go karts, golf carts, pressure washers, generators, etc.

Disclaimer: This may not be a "by the book" procedure, and I always advise anyone to check the proper procedures in the service manual for that engine.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:21 AM   #5
chevyman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I can already see I'm going to injoy BGW thanks guys for all the help
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha