lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2015, 06:13 AM   #1
Stone
Gone Wild

Default My first

As I mentioned in my introduction, I am buying my first buggy. After seeing what some of you have done I just hope I can avoid spending a fortune on an obsession.

I have found a 1985 (I think) Marathon which is lifted with 22" tires and a good body for $700. It seems that here in Ohio, $700 is a fair price regardless of engine clutch problems........or am I losing my mind?

Here are a few things I would like get help with:
1. How to ID the engine?

2. Does the engine sit tilted backwards on this unit?

3. The primary clutch spins but wont grab the belt. It's possible that the engine is not starting. It's possible the belt is worn.

4. Best way to test compression?

Thanks
Jeff
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2015, 11:34 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: My first

An 85 is a 2 stroke engine known as a 2PG. It will have a single spark plug next to the muffler sticking out the driver's side of the engine.

It will have a data tag like this one. It will say 85 instead of 87
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Data tag.jpg (144.6 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:03 PM   #3
Stone
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
An 85 is a 2 stroke engine known as a 2PG. It will have a single spark plug next to the muffler sticking out the driver's side of the engine.

It will have a data tag like this one. It will say 85 instead of 87
Thanks! The guy told me it was an 86 but the research I have done indicates it is an 85.

I am picking it up later today and once I verify the year and engine type I will probably come back and ask for a belt number and a few key things I want to get for it.

Thanks again for the helpful info!
Old 07-29-2015, 04:55 PM   #4
Stone
Gone Wild

Welp....I got it and it's an 86.

Will barely go and is running rough. The drive clutch doesn't get enough RPM's to pull it in and the drive belt seems very sloppy. I verified that it is the correct belt 1 3/16 x 45.

So far I have drained the gas and added new, changed the spark plug, removed the air filter, and lubed the brakes.

Can the drive belt be tightened?
Old 07-29-2015, 06:45 PM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

No, the belt is supposed to be loose until the drive clutch squeezes in on it.

See if you can squeeze the clutch in by hand.

Get it running first, then determine if clutch is working. SeaFoam is a miracle worker.

That manual in my first post will still work for an 86.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:20 PM   #6
Stone
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
No, the belt is supposed to be loose until the drive clutch squeezes in on it.

See if you can squeeze the clutch in by hand.

Get it running first, then determine if clutch is working. SeaFoam is a miracle worker.

That manual in my first post will still work for an 86.
Thanks!

A buddy of mine loves small two-stroke engines and he is going to fix the carb.....he thinks it may just be gummed up. I will use that manual to understand how the governor works and the carb settings.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:30 PM   #7
Stone
Gone Wild

I'd like to post some pics but it appears this site requires a third party web site like Photobucket.

Is there a preferred third party site?
Old 07-29-2015, 07:48 PM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Go to the box down below, and click on go advanced. There is a paperclip there for attachments. It allows 5 photos. That's all I use.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:53 PM   #9
Stone
Gone Wild

Golf cart.jpg

Can't wait to get her runnin!
Old 07-30-2015, 12:09 PM   #10
Stone
Gone Wild

Update:

I tinkered with it today and have found this out......... any thoughts would be appreciated.

I removed the line from the fuel pump at the carb and fed it into a glass jar to see what, and how much, was coming out. Low and behold, it came to full rev, pulled the clutch in and ran like a champ......jacked up.

So I bypassed the fuel pump and let it gravity feed the carb and took it for a ride. It ran great till it lost the gravity feed and ran out of gas. Of course it was at the furthest reach of my yard and the fuel pump lost its prime and I had one heck of a time getting it primed again. Hooked the fuel pump back and it won't rev.

Since it only ran a minute or so, it could be a bad fuel shut off in the carb bowl or else the fuel pump is flooding it?

Any ideas?

Edited to add this question................................ Can these things be quieted down? Since we will be primarily using it as a rolling two man hunting blind, I would like to make it quiet but I don't know if they might be finicky about back pressure or anything else?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO